Historic Hull Lines

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tallen, Apr 25, 2010.

1. tallen

tallen Junior Member

I was wondering if anyone could help me get a copy of the hull lines for a couple of old historic ships. Specifically I am looking to get old america's cup sailing vessels and other historic vessels. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

The Smithsonian Institute might have some of them; have you looked at their catalog?

I was going to order it last fall. But someone told me they were getting ready to revise it, so I waited and then let it slide. Now that I've been reminded, I think I'll do it this week.

3. conceptia

conceptia Naval Architect

4. conceptia

conceptia Naval Architect

5. Paul Kotzebue

Paul Kotzebue Previous Member

See if you can find a copy of "Traditions and Memories of American Yachting" by W.P. Stephens. It is the best source I know of for information, including hull lines, for early America's Cup boats.

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

The large format limited edition book, America's Cup Designs, by Chevalier & Taglang has lines and sailplan drawings of every defender and challenger from 1851 to 1986. Only 2500 or so were printed....its a bit rare....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.