Fiberglassing hatches into a front and rear deck.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mosquitolaGOON, Apr 15, 2008.

1. mosquitolaGOON

mosquitolaGOON Junior Member

I recently built front and rear decks for my Gheenoe. I plan on fiberglassing over the decks soon and i was wondering how I'd go about adding a hatch? Is there a lip and lid I can buy and just glass into the deck?

2. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

I don't think you want to do that. Most production hatches are made to slip over a cut out. If you glass them in you will never be able to change them. They come with interior moldings to hide the cut out If you are planning to build your own hatch then you might consider planning now. If you are looking at custom wood I can post some pictures of a hatch I did a few years ago.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.