Hints on ANYTHING

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by the1much, Mar 30, 2008.

1. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i was jus wondering bout "mechanical" "chemical" and "secondary" bondings,,,and that the idiots dont know the diff between any of them,,hehe,,trying to tell me bout bonding,,,idiots,,,now,, they can say what they want bout aluminum,,,but dont tell me that i dont know the difference between the bondings,,you would think them :book smart" people would know,,hehe,,man,,,,now i dont know if i mechanically bonded or secondary,,or chemically,,,i feel as dumb as they are,,hahahaha
    JUS kidding (not really) hehe ;)

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Arrrr, the1, did you forget "thermal bonding"? an old blacksmithing trick... Heated appropriately and two different things will sometimes stick together - it may not be entirely useful for all materials but should be tried by "Mythbusters" :D:D:D particularly on something and a powder made of carbon, sulphur and pottasium chlorate - to keep in with their favourite activity... boooom...

3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

forget it,,,no way,,,didnt even know i knew,,hehe ;)
    anyways,,i posted my final response to the "bonding" quest.,,a couple days ago,,,,they must be reading for their response,,is taking an awful long time fer dem smat peepole hehe ;)

4. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Visqueen

:confused:
    What is visqueen? Is it some sort of fabric, where do you get it....

5. charmc

charmc Senior Member

I think visqueen in the UK is like kleenex in the US, a trade brand that has become a generic term. The visqueen I know is a clear polyethylene film that comes in rolled sheets. What we call clear plastic drop cloth.

6. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Have you considered tack welding a SS Nut to a SS strip.....Then, clamp the strip, or epoxy the strip, or just screw (dry wall screws) the strip to the boat, or just hold the strip until you get a couple of bolts started and then you are done.....:) You could do it in 4ft sections.

7. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

RatRace,

CharmC is exactly correct, it's cheap clear plastic that comes in rolls usually 8 to 16 feet wide by 20 to 100 feet long. 6 mill is about the mininum thickness, the thinner stuff stretches and is too flimsy.

The upholstery guys who turned me on to the idea use really expensive plastic with some fibers sort of like packing tape in it developed for commercial greenhouses. If it's handy I'll scrounge a piece from them, but if not, I just use easy to get cheap stuff from the lumberyard. A roll of what they use would last me several lifetimes at a much higher cost :) Good luck with your template!

8. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Templates from clear plastic

It sounds like a cool idea, I'm just trying to visualize how you use the stuff. It's for templates right; what do you do, just lay it over your area and use a Sharpie to mark out the part you want to make? Something like that.....

9. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

RatRace,
    Precisely, either tape, pin, or clamp the plastic to the area you are trying to template depending on the underlying material. Smooth it out as best you can, getting rid of as many wrinkles and waves as possible. Then use a sharpie pen to outline the edges.

I will sometimes use a batten or straitedge to help guide the pen. Then you can identify what ever you need for what ever you are doing, location of ribs, wires, pipes, etc right on the plastic along with all the arrows, notations, measurements from one thing to another. In short anything that seems obvious right there but might give you pause back in the shop etc.

I find double checking my measurements which I wrote on the template help give me a good reality check when laying out the real thing. If it is real critical or real expensive material, I will make a second generation template out of masonite.

10. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Nascar can teach you guys something

Kap,
    I got it, I got it:
    Super-glue the nut in place, then just go back on deck and drop the bolt in and tighten accordingly...........Darn I'm good....:cool: :cool: :cool:
    Hey, Kap:
    How do ya think I make the connection between NASCAR and the boat???

11. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

OK,
    so, what are you doing when you do this:
    Are you laying out a window, port-hole.
    Are you fitting in a head liner, a wall cover.
    Are you fitting out the interior, exterior.....
    Where am I when this process is most usefull

12. dragonjbynight

dragonjbynight Senior Member

Any thought of converting some of these threads into a boat design.net complete how to guide for members? just a thought.

13. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Oh, so you want to write a book

Uh, NO:
    But I elect you to the postion of editor....so get busy.:)

14. masalai

masalai masalai

and pay the copyright fees... - - to me & I will distribute appropriately...

15. dragonjbynight

dragonjbynight Senior Member

No problem here, i'll edit my hearts delight. Just don't depend on me for the actual know how....will have to depend on you guys for most of that!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.