Hints on ANYTHING

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by the1much, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I cant believe you don't have a friend, brother girlfriend, or pay a boyscout.. A bit easier that 3 hour bolting.

2. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Your preaching to the choir, but you are not entirely correct. For instance toe rails in older boats also act as clamps holding the deck to the hull. That is why there is a bolt every 6". Not to just hold the rail on but to clamp everything together. Every bolt has to be covered with 5200. But There are many other places that I wouldn't trust an Epoxy bond and need to bolt. How about the steering pedestal? Thats a two person bolting job. I did it alone.. took a full day of creative cursing--going below crawling under the deck clamping the bolt with vice grips going back up top wrenching down until you hit the vise grip going below replace the vice grip going back op top, wrenching it down all the way---painful, but you can't epoxy a steering pedestal to the deck. Now if someone invents a SS wing nut!! I would have been finished in 30 minutes

3. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

I'm lucky, my wife lets me go to the boat alone. I want to keep it that way!!
    My son is designing missile launching systems, and I only get to see him once a month or so--thats what I save the heavy work for. No the boat is my refuge, don't need a bunch of people around unless it's after 5 and they bring beer--------

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Surely there is a glue that will effect a bond that will overcome such ancient practices with commensurate risk/disadvantages... most production boats have been glued (epoxy or whatever) for as long as I can remember moulded glass boats - even the old Hobie cats were glued...

5. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

SS wingnuts are easy to come buy in my neck of the woods.

Sized from 6-32 up to 1/2-13
    Tacoma Screw Products 1 800 562 8192

6. grady

grady Novice

Toe fetish

Kap, If were my boat, and I was doing a complete refit of the deck and it's hardware. I may consider making the the hull/deck/liner joint under the toe rail, that way it could easily be mortised out to acomidate the through bolt heads. then installed with much fewer screws and for that matter removed with less fuss.

7. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

TollyWally
    I will be looking into that place. http://www.tacomascrew.com/ Thanks!!

grady
    I think you missed the point, or section:D The hull is made with a lip, the deck sits on top of the lip, and then the toerail extrusion sets on top of the deck. The extrusion is sort of T shaped with the leg sitting on the deck and the top of the T acting as the toe stop and also drops down to cover the deck/hull joint. In older boats it was the first piece of harware put on a boat because it held everything together. That is what makes replacing them so difficult. Everything is built on top.
    Look at the pic. This is the new (salvaged) toerail.

Attached Files:

8. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Try making common sence use of Cyanoacrylate glues, great for a second pair of hands in many places. The bond is not part of the process, only a means to an end.

9. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Landlubber,
    That works. I have also just used 5200 on the bolt, Let it sit overnight then wrenched the nut.

10. masalai

masalai masalai

Enjoy Kaptin, I do not envy you your difficult tasks, bon chance...

11. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

That was one of my FIRST tasks to weather in the deck when I first got the boat. It took 3 months of week-end work. DONE!!

12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

o.k. ,,,,im gonna "pirate" me own thread,,hehehe ;)
    what ya think bout,,,making a trailer (we'll call it a boat trailer hehe) and making it outta a old truck frame,, and keeping the rearend in it,,and hooking it to a (power take kinda unit) and when the mud and crap gets to thick,,ya could put "power" to the trailer wheels.,i magine its been done before,,but i neva seen it and got a "brain fart" this mornin ( i love sunday mornin meds hehe) and got an old truck in back,,,sooooo,,hehe ;)

13. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Jim,
    Go back to bed for another hour or so,, Add power to the trailer?--whats going to keep it from climbing up your truck bed when it breaks loose? or jack knifing. I understand adding breaks, or a power winch, but power to the wheels?? not too sure...
    Jim ,If you are around later we'll talk. Doing the Taxes then going to wax the new truck--first time I waxed anything in 6 years. Turn on your talkee later.

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Cause you can make a trailer from an old truck chassis. It'lle look like **** and be worth about as much as discarded dog vomit but yeah can do.

15. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

1. SS pop rivets? polyurethene adhesive sealants? (SiKaflex et al)

2.the British Army trialled powered trailers for the landrover101 forward control, using the rear power takeoff. they didn't go into production. it was too easy to jacknife the whole rig under power, and then the drive from the trailer -would overturn the truck.

3. we all know this, but- relaxing, making time to not hurry, and understanding that the REAL job is the preparation.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.