Hin

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Alik, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Interested is HIN coding system.
    Where is "hidden" HIN usually located on boats?
    Can I get some examples/photos of locations for HIN for some boats?
    We don't have this usefull system here.

2. betelgeuserdude

betelgeuserdude Junior Member

Hi Alik.

I think that since 1972, manufactured boats built or sold in the USA have had to show an HIN, usually on the starboard side of the transom, near the sheer. I've never heard of a "hidden" HIN. Is this a new developement?

Interestingly, in my state, Oregon, a HIN is not issued to a one-off boat until the boat is completed. The HIN is issued at the same time as the title and registration. This makes it kind of difficult to hide a HIN.

I believe that an USA documentation number may be issued as soon as the keel is laid (or other phase, corresponding to material type), so that the number may be installed at the builder's convenience.

DC

3. guest12020101217

guest12020101217 Junior Member

Do you mean "Hull Identification Number" (HIN)?
    If so it all depends where (what country) and to what standards the boat is build, as well as what type of boat it is.
    The HIM is normaly stamped on the outboard side / top edge (to one side), of the transom on all the boats at my work. (I work for a RIB design and build company in UK.

As for the coding, again it depends on the type of boat and the factorsabove.

It will be something like this for a rough example
    ABC UK 12345 03
    Letter i.e. ABC that tell you the company
    Country i.e UK
    Identification number of that boat i.e. 123456
    The year 03
    etc etc
    Your just that to reseacrh it. Try a goverment department or ask a big boat builder.

Colin

4. Alik

Alik Senior Member

In ISO standard about HIN they say about "hidden" one...

5. BrettM

BrettM Senior Member

The hidden HIN exists and I have seen them fitted.. It is there as a theft deterrant. From what I remember of the regulation it was up to the manufacturer to determine where it was located. Most likely it in built in somewhere that requires a reasonable amount of dismantling to get to. The ones I know of were hidden quite well.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.