The Far Horizon

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Mik the stick, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Mik the stick

Mik the stick Senior Member

I have spent a lot of time trying to learn about boat design. I can't design a boat but I have learnt much about design from Michael Kastens site. He seems to have a design for almost any kind of boat you would want. My design idea for a go anywhere boat was a smaller version of a harbour defense motor launch.

If I had approached Mr Kastan with my ideas he would have drawn me the "Far horizon" with the forward water tank converted to carry diesel.

The only issue left to deal with would be get home power. I'm not sure there would be room for a wing engine shaft, so I would ask for a small Lister diesel with a chain drive to the main shaft. The Lister would also provide electric power when docked.

If I was in the market looking for a boat this would be my choice.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

A typical Accident at sea would have your boat run over a floating object..perhaps a ships hawser...foul your prop and disable your drive line.

If you wanted a truly backup power source you would use a system like the Nordhaven boats do. A small diesel "wing " engine with its own drive gear for emergency propulsion.. The installations I have seen use a conventional shaft ,P bracket, fitted with a duckbill folding prop on the wing drive for low resistance when not used.

Perhaps this small diesel could also be a generator.

3. Mik the stick

The accident you describe would I think probably damage a wing shaft at the same time as the main shaft. I do agree a wing shaft is still the best way to go.

Because "Far Horizon" is michael Kastans design I'm not sure that there is room to fit a wing shaft on a 13ft beam. Is there a minimum beam size that applies to the fitting of wing shafts.

4. michael pierzga

If Kastens design has a well protected prop and rudder, you might not need to worry.

If done 2 dozen transatlantics and many miles in seas around the world with single engine installations and have never critically damaged a prop or shafting at sea. Mind you I'm a sailor and Props hide behind keels on sailboats.
    If you must put to sea in a single engine motorboat, don't waste money on half assed wing engine installations ..... you should spend money on a top quality engine, top quality installation and then have the mechanical ability and spare parts to keep her chugging along.

Simple rubber impellers can stop a diesel engine...dirty fuel stopped the tug boat towing the drilling platform in Alaska..lack of a spare starter motor or fan belt or rubber hose on board may ruin your day.

http://[​IMG]

Ive got an MTU straight six naturally aspirated in the engine room and have accumulated about 14,000 hours on it since new and have never suffered a mechanical breakdown that couldn't be rapidly fixed while on the road. Modern engines are robust. I am told by MTU to expect a 25000 hour life span from this engine.

Listen very carefully to Mr Kastens advice on systems and system installations.

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

That is an Immaculate engine room Michael.

Is that an ice pick just to the left of the filter housings?

6. michael pierzga

Oh...black cable tie that I always forget to snip off.

The secret to achieving the full life span of an engine is to have the proper volume in the machine roon. Too small and eveything runs hot and service become problematic.

7. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Very nice MP.
    However I have noticed finger prints on the chrome intake...for shame!!

8. michael pierzga

Chrome covers and service points are a good detail. No paint required after service. Easy to re torque fasteners. Its a shame I lost my chromed injector pipes. They needed to be replaced at 12, 000 hrs and new chromed piped took a long leed time to secure. Little chunks of broken paint ,from painted injector pipes , that get into the injectors or fuel system after service will ruin your day.

Much of the damage to diesel engines that I see is poor maintence on high output engines. There is a whole line of large motoryachts out of the water in the shipyard with blown engines after very few engine hours.

9. Mik the stick

Michael your engine looks like it has not been run long enough to warm it up. i f you lavish such care and attention on your engine I am not surprised to hear you have no reliability problems.:)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.