Lookin for Plans

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by gary1, Sep 17, 2006.

1. gary1

gary1 Senior Member

Evening,
    I was in the process of building a Panga22 a Bateau design long boat and my son has taken over the building. So I'm on the look out for another boat to build for myself. What I'm chasing is plans something in the 20 to 22ft range able to be powered by a 4 stroke out board engine up to about 90 hp. Hopefully with a sef draining deck as well as the abilty to carry between100 to 150 lts of fuel as I often have to travel fairly long distances up the coast to reach my fishing destinations
    The boat will used offshore so the abilty to handle rough water should the need arise would be an advantage as well as able to head up shallow water creeks and rivers would be good. I don't need a cabin type boat and would prefer a centre console as it will be used only for fishing. Preferably using the stich and glue method as It's the only method that I have any experince with and feel reasonably confident with.
    I have always been keen on the Panga style (longboats over here in Australia) so anything along those lines would be great but having said that I'm also prepared to try and build something totaly different.
    I realise what I'm asking for is a bit of a big ask but surely Dory style boats aren't the only boats that can be built using the stich and glue method.
    So if anyone can point me in the right direction of a designer who sells plans who is thinking a bit outside of the square but can still be built by a back yarder using Stich and Glue I would greatly appreciate it.
    Stay Safe
    Gary

2. raw

raw Senior Member

Somebody like myself perhaps? Also australian based. Send me a private message.

raw

3. gary1

gary1 Senior Member

Evening Raw,
    For some reason I'm unable to contact you via private message not enough post's or something like that who knows. My email is in my profile if you want to let me know how I can contact you I would appreciate it. More than willing to give an Aussie design a go.
    Many Thanks
    Gary

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Yes - sorry Gary. One more public forum post and the PM system will be activated for you. (a change made after we had a problem of a few evil spammers signing up to the forum simply to private-message spam our members -- I need to update the FAQ to display this information)

5. gary1

gary1 Senior Member

Thank's for the info Jeff , job's done it's all good now
    Stay Safe
    Gary

6. 27ST.Pierredory

27ST.Pierredory Junior Member

Coastal cruser

I have plans for a 24 ft Glen l design Coaster cruising and sail that id let go reasonably

7. alan white

alan white Senior Member

27ST.Pierredory,

I am interested in building your namesake for sail. Do you own that boat, and if so, for power or sail?

Alan

8. gary1

gary1 Senior Member

Afternoon,27ST.Pierredory,
    Mate I'm fixed up with the plans now and have started on the build, thanks' for the offer though
    Regards
    Gary

9. daizda

daizda Junior Member

Sailboat Plans

Hello everyboby,
    well, I´m really having some problems here. In the first place, I don´t know what boat to build, I would like a boat over 24 feets, i was thinking in the kavallier 800, but the plans I found weren´t enouhg.
    I would like tu receive any plans, of any sailboat over that lenght, if can be in any CAD format. and most of all, any advice about building a boat, something to read, whatever.
    oh, the boat I need to build is for sailing in the sea, and must be wood o fiber because here in Argentina steel is very expensive!
    Thank you very much!
    You can send anything to desdeelagua@gmail.com

10. alan white

alan white Senior Member

A list of books on many varied designs are available from Woodenboat publications, and they also carry a lot of how-to books. Otherwise, there are resources online if you google "boatbuilding books".
    You need to decide on a plan based on it's proven record or satisfied sailors, and it has to be something you are capable of handling as a first project, which is a tall order, but you may be a very talented craftsman.
    Nearly every boat plan will link you to other builders if the same boat, photos, real-life experiences, etc..
    Then if and when you commence, you will have a lot of in depth help from this forum, I'm sure.
    And welcome to the group!

Alan

11. daizda

daizda Junior Member

Thank you very much Alan,
    I have one more little question at the moment. Apart of the adventure of building my onw boat, what´s the costs relation betwen buying and building? (I know that depends on the models and the materials, but it´s still cheaper to build?)
    Thank you again!

12. alan white

alan white Senior Member

If money alone is considered, it is always cheaper to build. If time is factored in, only you can apply a value to your time (it may be that working on a boat is, for you, a wonderful experience, and so why should you count your time?).
    Every boat will require a different material/labor apportionment. Yet there would be an average ratio of course, most predictable if the boat is typical of a known type of construction. Then the labor/overhead/profit part can be figured out by figuring the materials carefully and realistically, and then subtracting that figure from the new price of a comparable boat.
    Some methods, however, are extremely labor intensive, in particular all wood boats with fine details and finished interiors, or ultralight racing boats. To buy such a boat new would be ultra-expensive, and yet a dedicated person with talent could build the boat himself--- all he needs is the materials and talent, and time.
    I find that many people do not know best how to maximize their own labor contribution. They see what they want on the market and decide to build something very similar to it, and they end up competing in an arena where their own labor is attempting to replace an industrial process. The work becomes tedious and boring, the materials costly, and the result is a home-built copy of a mass-produced boat.
    Building one's own boat should be as much an enjoyable process as it can be.
    I would always recommend a wood boat for home construction over any other method for this reason. I would favor traditional construction (to a point) over more high-tech construction too, because traditional construction (plank-on-frame) has a higher labor to materials ratio and is the most enjoyable work to do. It also produces the most beautiful result when done right.
    An example would be a traditional rowing dory. While a traditionally hand-built dory of 16 ft length might cost $6000 dollars US to buy, the materials to build it, and the equipment needed, might cost only $500.00.
    The reverse example would be a larger fiberglass powerboat. Many materials have to be bought as components--- engine/trans/prop, electrical, glass, resin, foam, stainless fittings, etc.. A manufacturer will buy all of those things at a huge discount and assemble them very quickly. You pay much more for the same items and everything you do in terms of labor will take many times longer. In that case, you should think seriously about buying the boat rather than building it---- it will take years of not-fun labor and huge outlays of cash.
    A good recommendation would be to buy a factory boat with, say, a storm-damaged hull (but good components) for short money and then build a custom wood boat around the components. Then you are not only enjoying the process of building more, but you are getting a truly one-of-a-kind custom boat for a fraction of the cost.
    So there is no one set rule about comparing costs between buying and building, but each circumstance will be dependant on your particular abilities and boat design. On average, however, most guys who build their own boat would be better off buying if they are counting their own labor as a dollar figure. They come to realize this and accept it anyway because they are not trying to make a profit. They are doing it for higher reasons that no one can measure.
    It is even nicer if you're smart and to a certain extent, build the boat AS IF you were out to make good an investment. That is what a lot of small full-time builders do. They need to enjoy what they're doing, but also must feed their families. If you approach the process as if you are in their shoes, you are probably going to come out of it on top.

Alan