High speed blue water hydrofoil

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by MurphyLaw, Jul 25, 2018.

1. MurphyLaw

MurphyLaw Junior Member

Success with the Ultrasonic sensor works fine with water and wasn't put off with splashing. Now I am waiting for a new gyro/gravity/magnetic heading sensor the one I had was for another computer model so I ordered one for the Pi Zero I am using, should get that tomorrow then I will hook up to the servos and test again.
    I don't think I need a level sensor anyway, the gyro magnetometer is so sensitive, it will be able to detect the acceleration upwards and downwards which is what you should use rather than distance above water, I will just use the ultrasonic as a reference.

Attached Files:

2. MurphyLaw

MurphyLaw Junior Member

Meanwhile back in virtual reality I have been spending a lot of time checking the feasibility of constructing different structures. CAD is awesome for testing mechanics, you save so much time and avoid costly mistakes. If you can see something you can usually tell whether it will work just by looking at it, you get a feel for what will work with what materials but if you cant see it and just have measurements on paper then it's hard to tell. My main problem at the moment is the wing sail, if I make it like an aircraft wing then I can make the structure strong and rigid but if you want to make it so it can rotate then it's difficult to keep the structure strong and rigid, the boat in the background is using wings that can rotate and then in the foreground the same version without rotatable wings. I am going to make a few models and see which works best.

Attached Files:

3. MurphyLaw

MurphyLaw Junior Member

I am going to use hydraulics for the controls, would require too many electric motors otherwise and too much weight. I will use a single hydraulic pump and then use actuators, I found a suitable pump, so I am putting the link here for my own use lest I forget.

Electric Hydraulic Pump Power Unit - Buy 12v Hydraulic Power Units,Double Acting Hydraulic Power Unit,12 Volt Hydraulic Power Units Product on Alibaba.com https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Electric-Hydraulic-Pump-Power-Unit_60173262155.html

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.