High Power Very Small Tri(s)-10'-14'-why not?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

High power small tri's :where are they?

I'm particularly interested in small trimaran designs that are designed specifically to fly the main hull. It seems to me that for most people to be able to enjoy the thing it should be able to fly the main hull in winds below 10 knots as well as to be controllable in stronger winds.
    I'm doing extensive research into small trimaran design and I've looked everywhere that I can think of to find such a small multihull design-but no luck whatsoever.
    If you know of such a boat please post here or PM or e-mail me. Thanks.

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Cherub based high power tri

I discovered this accidently: it is a 12'(+rudder gantry +bowsprit) trimaran design based on the Cherub dinghy:
    (Compare the specs to the Hurt Hughes 12 footer in post #75 and to the 12' one off MPX-11(12) here: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/mpx-11-very-small-high-power-trimaran-33686-2.html )

LOA 12'
    Upwind Sail area 166 sq.ft
    boat weight, ready to sail, minus crew- about 154lb(plus amas)
    crew weight-2 for a Cherub-this could probably be sailed singlehanded.
    -----
    Found this on the UK Cherub site-if anyone knows more or has pictures I'd sure like to see them....
    http://www.sailingsource.com/cherub/test/doku.php/designs/banshee

More:
    In a nut shell the aim of the Banshee design was to develop an competitive hull shape with easy handling. Speed weighted toward the lower summer championship wind range but with the easy of handling making up to any loss of top end when the dogs were off their chains.

New Zealand designer David Lee was commissioned by Daryl Wilkinson to develop lines based around this concept from his highly successful 12-foot skiff , Nuplex, multiple 12-ft skiff Inter-dominion winning boat. With regular conversations and observational input from Daryl the 'Banshee' was penned.

Daryl designed the rest of Banshee Ambulance to be a multi mode boat, allowing for several different ways of sailing.

Click on image then on resulting image for largest size:

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.