Paint on Fiberglass

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by pavel915, Mar 17, 2016.

1. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

I would like to what kind of paint I should use on a fiberglass boat (gel coated). The paint should be glossy and have to stick well with the surface

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can use gelcoat to re-finish a boat. Otherwise there are many options for paint depending on the finish you require and your budget. You can go from the low cost alkyd paint, to a high end basecoat/clearcoat urethane enamel.

3. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Gonzo +1, but I must interject, IMHO, the age of the boat and use should be considered.

Seems to me, either way - paint or gel - surface abrasion will be needed. Paint can do wonders, particularly when final coat is clearcoat, auto stuff, and, if you do not mind a bit of humor, you will not wince as much when the vessel rubs the dock or buoy.

I would say both choices demand attention and if painting, roll and tip, is the way to go and though tedious, errors will vanish...and if you use rig a lot, become innocuous.

I used to freak over errors, now I just do best I can and "roll" with it...after a few days afloat, what?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Sure, it depends on what quality of finish you want and are willing to keep up with. I have a 1976 O'Day that was is poor shape and painted it with industrial alkyd enamel. It is really easy to touch up and looks fine from 15 feet (4.5m) away.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Re-gelcoating, by a novice rarely ends up looking good. Conditions, equipment and techniques all conspire against someone not familiar with gelcoat.

Paint is the logical option, but this too has about as many choices as ex-wives complaints about their former husbands.

Prices range from cheap house paint ($20 a gallon), though costly automotive and marine LPU's (hundreds $ per gallon). A good quality house paint can last a long time, is easy to repair and if applied well, can look very nice.

The real bottom line is how much effort and cost do you want to invest. A mirror finish is possible, but the materials and the prep are expensive. If a roll and tip job is all you need, well you can save time and money.

6. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

If you had a real beater it might be fun to experiment with old recipes.
    Maybe not the ones with lead.

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The newer alkyds are so far superior to the old school basic versions, that playing with them just doesn't make a lot of economic sense, particularly considering the material costs involved.

8. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

Could be fun though, especially the old books that used the term 'receipts'. Maybe build a farm battery right into the bilge too while we are at it, provided we don't capsize. :)