16ft 1969 Newman transom repair.

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by johnnyfire, Jul 6, 2009.

1. johnnyfire

johnnyfire New Member

Here we go another money pit although my first boat I ended up with a great engine package but the transom is junk. Heres some pics of what I have done so far. I only plan to get 2 or 3 years out of this repair. Then I will upgrade to an aluminum hull.

whole boat> [​IMG]

outside view> [​IMG]

inside view> [​IMG]

inside bilge> [​IMG]

after lookin at the stringers though the bilge they arent in the best shape but they will hold for atleast the next year or two till i get my aluminum hull from my buddy.

ok floors open insult away all!!!!

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

I would strongly recommend to use the "search" function here (as on every other, similar site). There are years to read if you just look for "transom repair"
    There are hundreds of good comments and real valuable advice. Though not all contibutors have the same level of knowledge, and sometimes even wrong statements are found (as on every other, similar site). If you look for the advice given by "PAR" you are on the safe side.

Regards
    Richard

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can repair that with two layers of 3/4" AC plywood. Put 3/4oz mat between it and between layers. Put two on the outside face and maybe four on the edges. Polyester resin works fine. It lasts for many years.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You'll need to cut back the sole a bit, possibly the ends of the stringers to get at the hull shell along the bottom of the transom. The new core needs to be tabbed to the hull shell, not the sole. Of course the sole is patched and "blended" back into the transom, but this it's a structural tabbing, just to "clean" up the interior. You need to remove the remnants of the plywood on the outer skin too. You want to bond to 'glass.

Currently you have enough room to tab 2/3's of the way around the transom perimeter, but haven't any access to the hull shell below the sole. Open this area up, clean out the rotten wood, grind back to good 'glass and bond in a new core.

Now you see why I prefer to remove the outer skin. Much less work, it ( the transom) needs repair and paint anyway and you don't have to go crazy cutting around all the structure on the inside.