High Performance MPX Foil/Self-righting Trimaran-The Test Model

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

High Performance Self-Righting Trimaran: The Test Model

================
    Thanks, Schoonner!

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Frank was a great sailor in the 60's when we were kids and we raced each other almost every day-every day when we got our Windmills. We didn't always see eye to eye as time went by and he got wanderlust and moved around a lot developing into an extremely competent printer.
    He loved the Pacific Northwest and lived there for a long time. He recently moved to Omaha ,Nebraska because of work-and he didn't like it.
    We've grown closer again over the last 20 years and he is my best friend.
    He was found dead in his apartment yesterday ,apparently having died from a massive heart attack in his sleep. I'll miss our great discussions on boats, politics and women. I still can't get my head around the fact that my younger brother is gone.
    I dedicate my work in design and invention to him and his memory.
    Take Care, Frank......
    -Thanks to some good friends of his, and to the extent it matters, his ashes will be scattered in the place he so loved in the woods in Oregon.
    -Frank was found on the 17th but actually died on the 15th just hours after an e-mail conversation we had.

2009 picture-click on image:
    Frank.jpg

I found this picture of my brother today-it was the last picture I took of him when he was here almost exactly one year ago today. I miss the guy terribly and I felt this picture adds to the tribute I've tried, in a small way, to make.
    click on image:
    Frank Lord.jpg

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Thanks Corley-I just can't get over it....

5. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Sad news Doug, my condolences as well. Staying busy helps, don't forget you have friends all over.

6. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

All things come to an end. =0( I am sorry to hear of your loss I know what it is like to loose someone. I find that working on projects and reading Psalms in the bible helps me when I am grieving. I don't know if you believe in God, but this always helps me:

KJV: Isaiah Chapter 41

[10] Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

7. gypsy28

gypsy28 Senior Member

Much condolences Doug, losing a loved one must be unbearable.

But what better way to honour your brothers memory than by dedicating a line of ultra cool foiling tris to him!

Keep your head up man,
    DAVE

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Dave, Schoonner, Cav-thank you.....

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

High Performance Self-Righting Trimaran: The Test Model

Finally got the matching halves of the curved foil molds. Next, the foil shape will be sanded into each surface, then they will be lightly glassed. Final "smoothing" then Partall#2 wax followed by poured PVA(not sprayed) and layup. I still have to get with Sam at Resin Research to get the right low exotherm resin(so it won't melt the styro). Both halves will be layed up at the same time and bonded. Section is a 9.5% T/C(thickness/chord) ratio..
    ==============

Here is the tentative laminate schedule for one half of my 3" chord, 9.5% T/c ratio 19" curved lifting foil for my test model. The T/C ratio is thinner than it would be full size(12%).
    I'm using 5.8oz woven carbon-all laid double diagonally,.007" laminated thickness and 4.75 oz/sq.yd.(.033lb/sq') carbon uni,.012" thickness laminated:
    Layers 1 & 2-5.8 -45/45
    Layers 3-6 Uni
    Layers 7-10-5.8 -45/45
    Layers 11 & 12 Uni
    Layers 13-16-5.8 -45/45
    ----
    Total: 6 layers Uni & 10 layers 5.8 for one half

Both sides total:
    20 layers 5.8 @ .007" each= .14"
    12 layers Uni @ .012" each= .144"
    Total thickness= .284"
    Chord=3" ; T/C= .284/3= 9.5% Solid carbon. This foil is highly loaded-supporting the whole boat(16lb).
    As the half-foil is laid up the width of the pieces gets smaller due to foil curvature.
    ---
    Note: this is based on material I bought from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty some time ago-specs are the same now. http://www.aircraftspruce.com 1-877-477-7823

click on image:

Attached Files:

10. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

Oh, I get it, they are upside down?

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

No, sideways.

click on image to see important detail:

Attached Files:

12. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

OMG!!! THAT's EXACTLY what I wanted to do with mine! I started looking at your ama and it looks EXACTLY like what I want to do! (They are kinda shaped like ACWS cat hulls right? With a negatively slanted bow that is longer on the bottom than on the top? I wish we lived in the same area. Where do you live at?

Well, Mine are shaped like that on the ends of what amounts to a fin. I want to load the foil it in a specific way when the boat tries to heel so that it actually cavitates toward the top corners and creates a bubble that because it is sucked to surface of the edge creates lift and buoyancy as well as ease the flow around the ama by making it move past it's own surface tension rather than the top of the ama. Does that sound to hard to do?

13. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear about your brother, Doug. I lost one of my younger ones a couple of years ago, so I can understand some of what you're going through. Part of my pain was realizing the potential which had hung fire in his life for this reason and that was irretrievably gone. He'll never have a chance do the things I knew he was capable of....

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

========
    Schoonner, see the PM I sent you......

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Changes!

Well, guys my brothers death has been an awful thing to have to deal with but there has been a strange twist of fate. He left me as sole beneficiary on an insurance policy, that if it comes through, will change my plans dramatically. The owner and controller of my brothers company told me about it and have told me I will definitely get the money.
    So on that basis I'm temporarily stopping the model/SRT project and begining
    the design of a smaller lighter trimaran that I can actually have sailing relatively shortly. Most of the new boat will be assembled from existing parts-I'm starting a new thread to follow the design thru to sailing:
    " 16' EagleFBL,an MPX Foiler-the Actual Boat". Much of the tech I have developed to be tested on the model will be tested on the new little boat-except the self-righting which will wait for the model or a larger boat.
    ------
    I want to thank everyone that has participated or checked into this thread.
    This project is not over just temporarily put aside so I can get a boat to sail in a hurry.
    Thanks to Jeff, this thread will be temporarily locked so I can concentrate on getting ready to sail-but it will be back!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.