What is up with Sevylor inflatables quality control?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Squidly-Diddly, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Of their standard vinyl boats like the K79(yellow banana) or their "Fish-Hunter" 6 man inflatable it seems about every third boat will be all lop-sided.

I'm talking about 4" differences in the width of panels, resulting in obvious weird bulges.

If you are thinking about buying one of these make sure you inflate it before leaving the parking lot, and make sure you can return it for refund or exchange.

I wouldn't think of buying one online and then seeing if it is a good one or not.

Yes, I know you "get what you pay for" but this seems really odd.

Maybe they need to lighten up on the slave labor in China.

I hope this post doesn't get anyone beaten up in China.

2. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Squid,

I can't speak to the QC of their boats as they emerge from the factory and into normal distribution channels. I have seen their product line displayed at the Outdoor Retailer Show each summer.

Over the past six/seven years it seems that they have put a great deal of effort into raising their game when it comes to better designs, better materials and from what I've seen, much better workmanship.

Yes, no thinking manufacturer is going to bring a bogus product to a trade show environment if they are truly looking to take orders, but the stuff is much better than it ever was based on the items mentioned above.

I'd be willing to bet that there are some blogs and/or review websites for Sevylor's products which may yield some interesting info.

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I have a Sevylor toy boat. A Mistral Squirt that is an inflatable sailboard of sorts. I bought it for the kids to play with. The damned thing never would hold air for more than four hours. No punctutres or leaks are detectable by looking for bubbles in the water. Yes, it has a made in China tag. No doubt the genuine North sail that came with it was made in China too. North China I presume.

4. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Hmmmm, no bubbles or leaks, yet it won't hold air. Now there's a dilemma if there ever were one. ;-) Sometimes a mixture of dish soap and plain water spread liberally over the whole boat will show the leaks as slowly filling air bubbles that are plainly visible on dry land. Special attention around the valves and any seams (especially where there are overlaps of other parts) will get you to the solution for the deflating floaty.

My last experience with North in this type of product showed it to be built in Sri Lanka and not China. Could have changed by now, but that's where they had their mas produced loft for quite some time. No complaints with the sails so provided.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.