HID Location for Garwood Boats

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Sindel, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Sindel

Sindel Junior Member

Does anyone know where one might look for hull numbers on a possibly "1934 Garwood Utility"?

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I believe you mean HIN, HID is a type of headlight.

3. Sindel

Sindel Junior Member

mydauphin, ya you got it I ment the HIN: Hull Id Number...

Any Ideas?

I've look on every frame member that has access...

I plan on bringing her back home tomorrow ... Perhaps behind the fuel tank?

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I didn't notice year the first time, HIN numbers were not require until something like last 30 years. May be it does not have one. In that case you can make your own and register it. I don't remember procedure, but I know it is done. Typical on the older wooden boat they carve it into Keel wood.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

These were first required in 1973 and mandatory in '74. It's possible your boat may have a HIN assigned to it by the state if it's been recently registered.

Now you may have a manufacture's number on the boat. These can be handy in researching the boat's history. They are placed in various places, but typical locations would be keels, transom knees, deck beams, etc. It'll be a major hunk of boat and carved in.

If the "OH" number (state registration number) is still visible on the hull or the title, you might be able to research some of the previous owners.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.