Freeboard and loadlines

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ESAU IDROVO, Mar 8, 2024.

1. ESAU IDROVO

ESAU IDROVO Junior Member

Hi, does anyone know a software for the calculations of the freeboard according to the loadline convention? I found that FDB is non-free software and I lost the .rar of that program to use it for free, does anyone have that program or similar to use it? any alternatives?

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Let us agree about the descriptive word; freeboard. It is commonly understood to mean; vertical distance above the static waterline.

The designer selects that dimension while considering many other things. the stability of the boat or ship, the sea state that it is likely to be exposed to, the height of the decks, a function of the needed below deck height which, of course, affects the height of the sides of the boat/ship. There are many more considerations that influence the design of freeboard height.

3. RAraujo

RAraujo Senior Member - Naval Architect

I think he is referring to software to calculate the minimum freeboard according to the International Convention on Load Lines... I had, many years ago, developed a program but I don't know of it... It's easy to make an Excel worksheet to calculate...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.