Nice thing of being retired....

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Wynand N, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Awhile ago I had a tread " 30 years in the making" and was about my desire I had since a youngster to own a Lotus 7 replica I had built myself BUT was to busy to make a living to live my dream.
    Now that I have time on hands after an early retirement, I took the bull by the horns and start building it.

My car is a bid wider and longer than original to accommodate my big frame, and some modern nice goodies to have such as an IRS (independent rear suspension), state of the art lightweight fire breather engine etc.
    I'm building the car totally from scratch - what is the satisfaction of buying a kit, putting it together and say "I built it". Not for me no, I like to keep it real and when I said I built it, I mean just that.

Herewith a few photos of the start and about 3 days work and in another days sweat, the frame and floors will be ready for Mig welding, Then I start manufacturing all the suspension parts - wishbones, brackets etc etc.

Will keep you people interested in this on speed with some periodically updates until she is ready.

Attached Files:

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Enjoy this new project.

It will be amphibious?(kidding)

:) :)

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

In a dry kind of way. Two rudders in the front and the motor and prop in between.

Soooo Wynand, when the thing is actually up and running are you finally going to come visit me then ? We must make a plan and go fish Bloemhof.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

So, when there is mechanical difficulty it will be toad?

5. latestarter

latestarter Senior Member

I envy you.
    There was a review of the original Lotus 7 that said, due to its road holding and acceleration, it was the only car you could average 69 mph on a trip without exceeding 70 mph.

Back in the 80s I started an RMB Gentry which was an MG TF look-a-like.
    Due to lack of facilities; a lock up garage with no power, some distance from my flat, it did not progress and I sold it when I moved.

One thing on these type of cars that concerns be is the roll over bar.

If you draw a line from the roll over bar to the top of the engine, which is what will be supporting the car if rolled, it is rare that the occupants heads are below the line.

However the center of gravity is so low, rolling is less likely than in most other cars.

6. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

Colin Chapman once famously removed a washer from one of his track cars ,saying "why should I give that a free ride around the track " Follow this philosophy if you want to replicate a Lotus.

7. wardd

wardd Senior Member

really nice looking work but have you considered an origami car?

1 person likes this.

8. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Jeez, now we will have ******** BS hanging around here telling us he built his car in two days flat, Colin Chapman is wrong, in fact all our cars are monstrosities, we are idiots and ****** and ox wagons and origami rule supreme:D