hi everyone,i want to try and build a yacht

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by sunnysideup, Oct 23, 2009.

1. dskira

dskira Previous Member

And it will be interresting to know the result of the thinking :)
    Cheers
    Daniel

2. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

If I was right, he's been thinking since November 3rd and here it is after Christmas.

Maybe he thought it wasn't such a good idea?

MIA

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Something like that, yes.
    Not sure if he gets a better offer for having a deeeep look into some hundred yards. (for free)
    But I´m not going to promote my offer again, like sour beer!

Regards
    Richard

4. sunnysideup

sunnysideup Junior Member

hi everyone and happy new year to you all.apologies for my disapearance over the last few months.my girlfriends been very ill so everything has been on hold.good news is she is better but not out of the woods yet...puts a lot of things into perspective.
    MIA,you were right with your first post and second! as i have spent a lot of time thinking,probably not all about boats but the dream is still alive and we arrived back from valencia-spain yesterday after flying out to view a 50ft classic yawl called 'amokura' that i think i had mentioned to apex 1 in a previous post on this thread.spent 3 hours on her at the marina (no sea trial yet) and we've fallen in love with her so we are now talking about making an offer.yes,i know she is quite a big boat for blue water sailing between the two of us but she has got everything we are looking for,and has the feel inside of a boat much bigger than her dimensions for living on.she's planked in pitched pine,all copper fastened to grown oak.the hull paint below the waterline was stripped back to her bare wood 3 months ago and a few planks were replaced to get her back up to scratch then painted.all her electronics have been updated too.her history of refits and all work undertaken to keep her in good shape is well documented so if the offer is accepted then we will get a survey done and go from there.
    i feel at the mo that after reading and thinking about all your great posts to me about getting a new yacht commissioned and built and all the research and decisions and travel involved in it and the last recent months,we will go down the path of buying a beautiful classic with some history and enjoy learning to sail her around home waters on the south coast,whilst learning to maintain her and get her looking tip top.then the plan is to hopefully get her ready over this year to set sail next year for some ocean voyaging and adventure.: )
    just spent a few hours researching shipworm particularly the 'toredo navalis' and those little sods sound like bad news! :) perhaps something else to discuss? i think the biggest lesson learnt though whilst exploring the possibilites of choosing a boat and researching building new was summed up perfectly by richard (apex 1) when he said-"if its a boat ,it's a compromise!'if it's no compromise it will not sail"..i understand that now-theres always a pay off whatever you choose to do.
    i'd like to thank you all for your helpful advice and enthusiasm especially richard and hope to maybe get a website up and running this year to document our little adventure,if we manage to buy her and get away,so people can see what 'amokura's' up to.

all the best and kind regards
    dan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.