fiberglass Outboard engine bracket

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by brokensheer, Jul 28, 2013.

1. brokensheer

brokensheer Senior Member

HEllo all, I have a 23' o/b powered boat that I build I am looking to bring her to about 25' with an intergal engine bracket, I would extend the strigers to the "new" transom location ,, Your thoughts please!

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Ok If you are extending the back of the boats and lengthening yes its possible to make a bracket or motor mounting all in one !! but have to do some drawing in paper how you want to do it and what you want to incorporate like a boarding platform and the like . are you also extending the planning surface at the rear or putting in a step ?? if you making a step to get a little more speed then this is no easy feat as well and a few things that need to be taken into consideration or its a real problem area and instead of adding a knot or two can drag down the back of the boat and slow it down !!. so lots to think about !!
    Post some pictures of what you have as well will make things a little clearer as to what could be done !! its adding a little buoyancy In the back and extending the planning surface but a small step could add even more !!!.:p:D:p.

3. brokensheer

Thanks for the reply I am working on a drawing now, I was leaning toward the extending the planing surface Thanks again for the help !
    image on the left shows the bolt/ 5200 patterns May add stinger stiffiners Full height. the middle sketch is the ext bottom the sketch on the right show a 1" relief up off the bottom planning surface !

Attached Files:

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

was any of the information any good or did it just add to the confusion . Like I said 30 " is a long way back and the weight of the motor and then the leverage it will produce pushing ,pulling ,turning ,and trimming will be huge and the forces applied to the transom would be mind boggling!!:mad::(:confused:

6. jagman1959

jagman1959 New Member

Just wondering how the pod turned out? Did you stick with this design?
    I am interested as I am investigating building myself a fibreglass pod for my 70's Carribean half-cabin.

7. brokensheer

still working on the design,, many are now going 36" aft,, I am looking into this to repower a 1962 Bertram 25

8. jagman1959

jagman1959 New Member

Thanks for the reply.

Earlier posts mentioned that 30" was too far aft. I was thinking of going 29" aft. 36" seems too far to me. But I suppose on a Bertram 25 it may be OK. Too far for a 19 foot carribean though.