Hi, another newby

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Anau, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Anau

Anau Junior Member

Hello, I am currently searching around for plans to build my first boat. I'm particularly interested in building something like a small outrigger canoe with a tacking type sail (I only have experience with Sunfish). I just wanted to build a simple boat for cruising around in so I guess something small. I think I would prefer panel construction over stripping for simplification. Does anyone know where I could find plans for such a boat? Thank you :p

2. jfblouin

jfblouin Senior Member

3. Anau

Anau Junior Member

Thank you, unfortunatley I couldn't find any plans for an outrigger canoe on their site. I dug a little deeper and found this website:

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/garyd/

The Wa'apa design is practically what I am looking for except I might try the double outrigger version. This seems like a silly question but judging by the pictures, do you think this could be a suitable boat for a beginner to build? It seems incredibly simple in design but I know looks can be deceiving. Thanks.

4. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Anau,

Certainly doesn't look too complicated. From reading the section on making the amas it seems like the directions are clear and easily understandable.

Go ahead, it should be a good starter project.

Yoke.

5. byankee

byankee Junior Member

this may be completely off the mark, but...

have you considered building a hard chine kyak (very "do-able" by first time boat builiders) and then equipping it with outriggers and a sail? Sort of a "2 for 1" deal - a kyak that you can paddle when you want to and sail when you're tired of paddling.

Anyway check out Chesepeak Light Craft's website at http://www.clcboats.com/boats/sailrig.php/cart_id=955a1f246971254611ff97af1c62846d/

You can add this sail rig to any of their (and other designer's) kyaks.

6. Anau

Anau Junior Member

Thank you so much for your replies. Byankee, that is also close to what I am looking for. Just off the top of your head, would you say kit boats cost more or less than buying plans and material yourself? Obviously it would require less effort and equipment but just material wise, which would you say is generally more expensive?

7. byankee

byankee Junior Member

I haven't built anything from a kit so I'm not sure. However, my gut feeling is that if you only look at materials costs - which will depend on where you live and whether or not you have a local source for materials or will have to have them shipped to you - you may find that you could save a fair amount of money buying the materials yourself. BUT - and this is a very important BUT - you should also consider that a kit will provide you with the parts already cut to the exact dimensions, panel joints are already cut so you don;t have to worry about making your own scarf joints, you get the right amounts of epoxy, fiberglass etc. and the kit materials are highest quality. I think that all of this stuff is likely to save a huge amount of time for a first time builder, and it could also save you money in the long run because you won't have to worry about making a wrong cut/messing up a measurement and ruining a $75 sheet of plywood - which will actually cost you over $100 when you add the shipping cost to get a replacement sent to you.

FWIW - If I was going to build a kayak - especially if it was a first project - I would buy a kit.

Pygmy Boats (another kayak kit source)has a brief discussion about this topic on their web site at http://www.pygmyboats.com/KITS.HTM

8. Anau

Anau Junior Member

I really like the kayaks that they have from the link you posted, and they're more in my price range too. Although I don't really like how in a kayak you have to sit down inside the boat.

I found this picture that kind of looks like a kayak but with a different 'top'. I'm wondering if I could modify a kit kayak to look like that. Although I would be afraid that the change might make it somehow structurally less stable or something like that since they seemed to have their models specially designed. Also notice how low the boat is in the water, like a kayak.

[​IMG]

9. byankee

byankee Junior Member

I don't know as I'm no expert on these things. You might look at Chesapeak Light Craft's Mill Creek designs - open cockpit, more "canoe-like" but still kayaks. Try sending CLC an email asking if their outrigger sail kit would work on the Mill Creek models. Or ask them about opening up the deck of one of their other kayak designs.

Mill Creek kayaks : http://www.clcboats.com/boats/millcreek.php/cart_id=955a1f246971254611ff97af1c62846d/

10. Anau

Anau Junior Member

Alright, thanks again.

11. Anau

Anau Junior Member

OK, new developments:

I found a canoe design on this website:

http://www.selway-fisher.com/Opcan16.htm

About halfway down the page is the 12'/16' Ranger which kinda looks like my picture. It says it's for inland waterways, but I think if I add outrigger(s) and a sail then it would be OK for more open water, right? Plus the plans come free with their manual on plywood/epoxy construction. This one looks like a keeper!

12. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Personally I thing your picture represents an oceangoing kayak with amas. The upturned prow and stern give it away. search for ocean going designs and modify the crew compartment from there. DO NOT be scared of a little tweeking of a design a little bit. If you are, contact the designer and clear it with them, most are amenable to helping get what you are looking for.

Steve

13. Anau

Anau Junior Member

I figured it was a kayak. But I guess I wasn't trying to copy that particular boat per se, just that it was frustrating not being able to find a canoe design other than the Canadian style so I thought using a kayak design would be better. But now that I found a canoe design that looks more like what I'm looking for, I think I might go with it.

I forgot to mention in the previous posts that I'm especially interested in boats of the Philippines so the pictures are coming from there. This is another picture I found and it looks very similar to the canoe from that link so if I imitated this one, I could get away with no design modification other than adding the amas and sail.

[​IMG]

14. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Anau,
    I bought plans for the mill creek double several years ago. Built it in a couple of very rainy weeks in Maine.
    Plans were great, boat is still great. Wouldn't recomend the kit if you have any woodworking ability,because it's a joy to see it come together on your own.

15. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

1/4" plywood is wonderfull to work with. DO IT.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.