Hey all newbie here

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Donny2oars, May 15, 2008.

1. Donny2oars

Donny2oars Junior Member

Been doing research online and reading for months. Finally got the nerve to get into wooden boats. I found a really good deal on 1950'S home made runnabout. It needs finishing and some rot removal but all and all is in good shape. It was built by a father and son in the fifties. I have been looking around the net trying to find pics of one just like her. I have seen similiar ones but not just quite the same. One immediate question I have is about the back of the boat. It looks like it was meant to be a barrel but was never finished as one. the motor sits on wood about a half foot in from the edge and the rest is open. I have pics but cant figure how to compress them enough to post them here. Anyone know where I can host them and provide a link? Or I could send via email, thanks all Russ

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Donny, welcome here.

Download faststone capture - it's freeware. The screen captured pictures are a nice size for uploading. Save as JPG's.

3. Donny2oars

Donny2oars Junior Member

ok thanks here are the pics

here are the pics thanks for the help

Attached Files:

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Looks to be cedar strips on steamed oak. It's very unusual, with a very rounded bottom. I've never seen anything like it. My guess is that it's an experiment. Upside down it would be a barrel back. Interesting.

5. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

I know Jack about it really but my immediate thought is that the boat would probably benefit from some rails to help handling, turning and promote earlier planing. The stern setup looks OK, looks like an attempt to limit cavitation.

6. Donny2oars

Donny2oars Junior Member

Yes it is a cedar strip boat, not sure what type of wood the forward deck is or trim/ seats maybe oak? It is too bad that it is fiberglassed, wish it wasnt. It does have small side rails where the red paint meets the white on the side.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  7. Meanz Beanz

I mean rails just below the waterline to give the hull an edge, similar to the way rails work on a surfboard.

8. Donny2oars

Donny2oars Junior Member

Lol duh got cha, yeah it possibly could benefit. Story goes that they used to water ski with it.

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Looks like it has a keel in the boat centre though. You will have to be carefull with that when you're on the plane. When you turn and the keel lifts out of the water the boat will slide sideways over the water. When the water surface meets up with the keel again it will suddenly grip. This could make for some eratic turning and can be uncomfortable and even dangerous... someone could be flipped overboard.

I like the length of the boat.

10. Meanz Beanz

Be interesting to see how she goes, best of luck with it :D

11. Donny2oars

Donny2oars Junior Member

thank you sir, im looking forward to it. I am stripping her down now, debating on if I should strip off the glass, hull seems/feels solid so I dont know.

12. Donny2oars

Donny2oars Junior Member

yeah she does have a keel. Wont be using it for fast going, just slow cruisin. The guy I bought it from said that he took it out on lake superior with his kids last year. Dont think I would do that with this low of a profile boat.

13. Meanz Beanz

If the glass is well attached I would not touch it, it could prove surprisingly difficult to get off. Maybe you could tap it with a small light hammer to determine how solid the layup is. At a guess with the age of the boat and the nature of the construction I would think that the glass skin is required. The glues that an amateur boat builder was likely to use back then could be better off with a skin of glass over the glue lines. Just a guess, be a little wary until you know what its put together with.

I missed the keel, that would be giving you some directional stability through turns. You would probably only consider rails if it was slow to plane or turned badly. Sharp turns will greatly reduce the keels effect, if you can I would put it through some sea trials before messing with it, note how well she planes, how early, do a few sharp turns etc.Also a day in the water might give you a clue as to how water proof all those glue lines are, see if she takes up water anywhere.

Cheers
    MBz

14. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Yeah right. First time the missus awaits you with her hands on the hips I can just see that quick plane to the launch ;)

Put her to water and examine from there, just not on that trailer, it looks kinda over the wall from here. Once she's afloat you would quickly find out her true colors ie stability, leaks, and in general behaviour.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.