Herreshoff 28 Restoration

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jdodsonpa, Sep 18, 2006.

1. jdodsonpa

jdodsonpa Junior Member

Thanks for the words of wisdom.... And I could not agree more. It is clear that there is a lot of "up front work" needed before any decision to buy is made. The person who owns the boat at present has considered my initial offer to become a partner, rather than an outright purchaser. I am inclined to think that may be a good idea in as much as he already has a good deal of sweat equity in the boat and should therefore be committed to seeing the project through. He also needs a willing partner who wants to also invest some sweat equity in the project. My initial sense is this could be a good way to have some fun working on a really neat boat, learning a lot about the process, sharing the expenses and slip fees, and maybe, just maybe, actually seeing this thing through to a happy finish and some really great local sailing.

Keep passing on those tips and words of wisdom, encouragement or warning. All thoughts are welcome.

I will post more photos as we progress. Certainly the first step is getting it hauled. That ought to be a picture taking adventure in itself.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If he can't afford to have an H-28 hauled, he should sell the boat. This is an annual event and part of yacht ownership. Even in warm climates like yours and mine, the boat should have yearly haul outs to inspect the planking, fittings, seams, etc.

3. jdodsonpa

jdodsonpa Junior Member

Time flies when you are searching for answers. I do appreciate the couple of hints I got on the Herreshoff. But I am looking for more information all the time. Anyone else out there have input, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

4. jdodsonpa

jdodsonpa Junior Member

Thanks for the recent posts and advice. I will be looking for a surveyor with wooden boat experience. And I will post to this thread from time to time.

5. jdodsonpa

jdodsonpa Junior Member

Time flies. Haven't made much progress on whether or not to move forward on this boat. So far, I thing a sweat equity partnership is in order to see how serious the owner is in restoring the boat. The future of the project is yet to unfold. If you have any information, please feel free to share.

Thanks

Jeff

6. jdodsonpa

jdodsonpa Junior Member

It's been awhile since I've worked on the boat. Still need the survey done and getting her to the hard deck in the yard. This past weekend we inventoried her sails and found a very serviceable main and mizzen. The jib seems in good shape too. And there are a number of other sails that seem to be from other vessels. Some could be adapted for use as Genoa's or storm jibs. The bilge is remaining dry. I think that is a good sign. The interior has a lot of work needed just to remove the previous owners "Stuff" that makes it look junky. So now we start the serious discussion after the survey as to whether or not this restore is even possible within the limits of our budget. She is a pretty lady under all that struggle. Hope to set her free again.

thanks for looking in on us from time to time.

Jeff

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.