Here's my story about YDS...

Discussion in 'Education' started by ErikG, Apr 11, 2002.

1. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

I'll post my findings, ideas and thoughts about the YDS yacht design course under this thread. If anyone has questions or disagrees with me, just fire away.
    --------------------------------

Well I finally got around to it. I ordered the first lesson and recieved it in the mail today. Here are my very first impressions...

Included in the package is a course outline, student list w. email, phone and adresses. Three large drawings, bibliography and a tool list.
    The first lesson is pretty introductionary in style and is called, you guessed it, Introduction to Yacht Design . It consists of a "bound" number of doubelsided pages.

The lesson starts with "Defining the profession"
    Then has a longer section about the basic use of drafting tools, tips and ideas that can/will make your work go smoother and look better.
    It continues with a review of basic math such as Equations, Pythagorean theorm and the pressure per sqare ft of salt & fresh water and so on.
    Then a short review of the lesson and a number of exercises.
    Some are basic math and some are drawing.

In conclusion, the first leesson is quite short, I had no trouble getting through the text part in a few hours. Except for the exercises of course, they will take a number of hours to complete. The layout is nice and it's easy to read with a nice friendly text that actually inspires.

Now I just have to get that used "drawing table" and some tools so that I can start doing the drafting. The books that are recommended reading with the first lesson are Skene's elements of yacht design and Yacht designing and planning by Chapelle. I have to get these books used if possible. If I'd have to buy all thees books mentioned in the booklist brand new, I wouldn't be able to eat :D...

Comments or questions welcome...

Erik

2. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Thanks Erik - I'll be very interested to hear how your experience progresses and any observations you can share along the way.

3. MattC

MattC New Member

YDS

Eric,

I am curious why you chose YDS instead of Westlawn? I am trying to make a decision between the two. I've seen a number of opinions on the board, but one more doesn't hurt.

MattC

4. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

Why YDS?

Hi Matt.

Why YDS?

For me there were several reasons.

You really can do the lessons at your own pace. There is no time limit to the course whatsoever.
    You pay for one lesson at a time.
    The cost for the course is just under 2000 $ (USD).
    For westlawn you have to pay a larger total sum, and you have to pay a lot more at each payment. For me forking up 100 $ every two months or so works a lot better.
    YDS has really only one teacher, Tom MacNaughton. And he is a practicing designer.
    YDS focuses a lot on practice and judgement.

Drawbacks...
    Well, the litterature used is not as modern as I would have liked it to be.
    It really focuses on th "old" way of doing things, ie. handdrawing, manual calculations and so on.
    Computers and 2D-3D software are allowed througout the course but is not specifically taught. There is a separate course for Rhino 3D though.
    Tom's personal preference in yacht design seems to be to the classic side of the spectrum. No fancy or speedy power or sailboats on his website.

At the moment I'm still completing the drawings for lesson one. Not because they are that difficult, but I've had to get the boat in the water, and I still haven't had the time to set up a proper drawingboard. I'm just about to start casting my ducks too. All these preparations take a lot longer to complete than I had hoped. I am also still on the lookout for a nice cheapish copy of Skene's elements of yacht design 8:th edition.

Thats all for now. Ask again if you want to know anything else.

ErikG

5. MattC

MattC New Member

YDS

Erik,

Thanks for the info. One suggestion for finding the used books. Try www.alibris.com. It's a network of used book dealers. I've yet to stump them on a request. I looked up both books mentioned in YDS for the first lesson and they have them available.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions as you go.

Matt

6. Sara

Sara Junior Member

YDS or Westlawn - I picked YDS over Westlawn because I felt there was a more personal feel to the course. In my dealings with the Westlawn School, I felt like a number rather than a prospective student! As a correspondence student it is vital to be able to connect with your tutors. So far, I have been really happy with the course....I like that I can pick up and stop the course as my schedule permits and that the structure of learning is fairly open. If I were able, I would look at joining the Landing School to concentrate my studies...maybe one day if I don't speed up a little!!!

7. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

My 2 cents worth

The opposite to Sara, I chose Westlawn over YDS because it seemed to be a more professional outfit and is (from my limited ability to check it all out) better recognised from within the industry. Also a number of top designers - Tom Fexas, Jack Hargrave to name a couple - are Westlawn Graduates.
    As a student, I don't "feel like a number" - but as a customer (paying in Australian Dollars:mad: ) I'll reserve my judgement until I'm closer to completion.

8. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Hi Sara,

I just wanted to say welcome to the forums. I hope you'll stick around and tell us more about the YDS (and lots of other things) as time progresses. Maybe we will also be able to talk you into displaying one of your projects on our site in a few months when we launch a gallery of student design work.

Anyway, we are always happy to have new people join our forums. Welcome aboard!

9. christopher

christopher New Member

YTD and accrediation

Hello there, I am intrested in taking classes to become a Naval architect and am wondering what is necessary at the govt level to practice. For instance, If I went through the YTD courses and then decided to design fishing boats in Arizona is there any govt. agency that regulates that, either on a national or state level?? Most states have a professional licensing board but I know most of them don't license Naval architects. So my question is; Will a school like Westlawn or YTD provide an accredited degree that is accectable by governing agencies and is this even necessary??

Thanks,

10. qadeer

qadeer Junior Member

YDS

It was wonderfull seeing all the replies to the education forum. Could not belive I found this site...Google searches can be amazing at times.

I have done some upfront work and have decided on YDS for a lot of the same reasons Erik had choosen it, actually pretty much all of the same reasons.

Cost was the biggest factor for me and it is pay as you go. For my situation it was perfect because I work fulltime (non-marine related) and have a family also, so being able to pay when I am ready and done with a lesson was a real pleaser.

To be honest the allure of going to westlawn was very high also, it's reputation, graduates, and the fact that the actual school is a do-able drive for me being in Long Island. The issue came down to the fact that I am doing this yacht design course for myself and my own interests, not looking to make a career out of it, but down the line if it does make one, thats a bonus. So I did not want to invest so much of my resources in a westlawn desicion, I think YDS offered me a hedge on my desicion.

Well thats my story. Thanks Erik your posts and the other folks here helped clarify my descision. I should be registering in a day or so to YDS.

11. prinsen

prinsen Junior Member

Lite fakta

Hej mitt namn är Erik och jag kommer också från sthlm, jag går på gymnasiet just nu ska börja 2:AN jag skulle vilja bli en designer inom transport och är lite intresseran av det här med yatch design men jag skulle vilja veta lite bra skolor där jag kan plugga till en sådan designer jag har inte någon som helst erfarenhet av detta förutom att jag är bekant med cad...Har du några tips på skolor och program som är bra att kunna för att ha den rätta grunden. Kan du maila mig på prinsen@the18th.com så skulle jag vara jätte tacksam..

:?: ps. vart ligger YDS och Westlawn?.ds:?:

/Erik

12. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

:confused: :confused: :?: :?: :confused:

13. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

:?: It's all Swedish Will.

Prinsen asked me to contact him in Swedish. Why he did it here on the forum I have no idea... He could just have sent me an email...

ErikG

14. prinsen

prinsen Junior Member

thats why

i thought that u would check at this forum more ofen then u would check your mail, thats why....sorry will..if u got confused...:D
    /Erik

15. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

No problem - universal language translator is on order

--delivery in 2007 ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.