help with tilt trim on omc cobra

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by kenrahe, May 18, 2011.

1. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

:(I found a hole(leak) in one of my tilt trim lines... Marina says motor has to come out to fix line(1st problem) and line is obsilete(2nd problem) does anyone know a way to fix the line without pulling the motor..Can I cut the line and put a fitting to reconnect the line together and what type of fitting should I use PLEASE HELP THE SEASON IS HERE AND I CAN"T GET IN THE WATER YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What year and model is it? Is it broken where it goes into the transom shield?

3. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

1989 5.7 omc cobra no the leak is about 18" from where it attaches to the pump

4. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

gonzo

just as it gets to the bilge

5. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

gonzo

planning on going there today and are you asking what model the pump is

6. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

pump pic

here's the type pump i have

Attached Files:

• pump.jpg
      pump.jpg
      File size:
      250.6 KB
      Views:
  7. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

still there

8. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

also if i get this fixed do i have to bleed the air out or is it self bleeding if not how do i get the air out

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I am speaking from memory, but I think there is a connection block at the transom shield. It is hard to get at but not impossible. The system is self bleeding. On some older boats with corroded or broken connectors, they were modified with the hoses going through the transom into the rams. That was used in high performance applications too. As long as you get hydraulic fluid to the up and down, the hose routing doesn't matter.

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You have to pull the drive leg to service the line from the pump to the distribution block and the hard/soft lines from the distribution block the the cylinders. You could remove the line from the pump, leave it, the distribution block and other lines and run new, flexible lines from a new hard plumbed distribution block, mounted in a more convenient location, but this means a whole new set of plumbing. Though considering it's age, all of it should be suspect and replaced anyway.

[​IMG]

This is the part you need and again, considering it's age, just replace both up and down lines while you're there. Since the drive needs to be pulled, check to see if the shifter cable recall has been preformed and toss in a new "transom kit" (bellows, bearing, seals, etc.) so you don't have to yank the drive again anytime soon.

11. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

what is that part number of those lines and maybe the new distribution block and not to sure what you mean by harded plumbed.... and do you have a step by step instruction to do this or a link to one and how would i tell if the shifter cable recall was done and if not who do i contact to have it done..if not done do i have to do it or is it covered by the recall and do you think my marina will do it...

12. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

oh and by the way the drive leg you mean pulling the outdrive right

13. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

are you talking about drilling a hole in the transom and connecting the lines directly to the rams and how would i know how to connect the lines so it works up and down.what i'm saying is if i connect one line from the pump to one ram and the other line to the other ram is it going to circulate to go up and down

14. kenrahe

kenrahe Sunseeker

is one line from a ram the up and the other down... i can see the distribution block thru my outdrive and the two lines going to the rams would you suggest a hole and line on each side next to each ram.and what would you suggest on what to seal the holes with....and again thanks to you and par for your help so far

15. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

One line is up and one is down. If you are replacing the lines with new, go to any hydraulic shop and have them crimp a hose on the old end fittings. You can then run a line from the pump to the rams.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.