1-part Topside Primer over 2-part Primer

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by stan54, Apr 24, 2008.

1. stan54

stan54 Junior Member

Hi, I'm new to boat painting and I have a small problem. I have read that layering a two-part paint such as Interlux Perfection over a one-part paint like the Interlux brightside, creates a chemical reaction and it doesn't work. The previous paint job on my 20' fiberglass cuddy cabin, used a one-part paint. Therefore the primer was also the one part primer. Right now I have it sanded down to the primer. I want to put a two part top side paint because I want to do the job once, but do it right. How should I go about preparing for a paint like perfecion or awlgrip? Should I use the two- part primer like epoxy primekote and then the two part paint over that? Will the epoxy primekote, react with the one-part pre-kote? Or should I just try to chemical strip the rest of the primer and then use the epoxy primekote and perfection? If you have any ideas about other techniques or products, feel free to point them out. Thanks

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

sand with 220,,primer with 2 part over that,,sand with 320,,then paint ya 2 part topside

3. stan54

stan54 Junior Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I was actually reading some of your post about painting before. So, the two-part primer isn't going to react with the one-part primer and it will provide a barrier for the two-part topcoat?

4. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

First things--Only post in one forum - you need to delete this in the design forum

I think you'll find most (not all) the people that hang around this forum are partial to Awl Grip. Even if you use Sterling I would still recommend priming with Awl grip 501 Primer. There have been a few good threads regarding painting. Look through this one. http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20793
    --and don't let Jim scare you off

5. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

yes hehe ;)

6. stan54

stan54 Junior Member

I'm apologize for posting in two forums. I was just hoping more people would see it so I could finish my boat sooner. Anyways, like I said I was wondering about the compatibility of paints. I read through some of the forum of the link that you posted, and found out some helpful tips, but I don't think I saw anything on that issue. I also did a search on interlux perfection vs awl-grip and found that awl-grip had great results but was more difficult to apply. People also found perfection to have similar result if not slightly worse but it was easier to apply and it leveled itself out really well. The owner of a local marina said he used perfection with amazing results. I would like to use perfection, but if you guys think that awl-grip is significantly better, I will definatly use that instead. Thanks for the input jerry and the1much. any help is greatly appreciated.

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

BOUT TIME I CAUGHT YA KAPT.,,,,and awl-grip is way better then anything else,,,and isnt any harder to spray or roll then any other 2 part.,,its just that people that use awl-grip EXPECT a perfect job,,,but if you prep,,and spray the same way for both kinds of paint,,,,its all the same.,,but,,,as Kapt. said no matter what i used,,,i'd use 545 awl-grip primer.

8. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

The 1 much pretty much said it all. Except I don't think he caught the part that you were going to Roll and Tip, so I guess we will not be hearing from him much

Ya Jim I was actually spending some time in another forum getting tips on rebuilding my transmission. This one was a bust in that regard. Also I was called down to the marina yesterday they are going to sell a 45' steel sloop and told me to take whatever I wanted. Got my mast!! and Saturday I'll salvage some deck hardware. Haven't been below. Salvage is fun. Re-built two boats this way. Free!!

Sorry Stan, Had to say hello to my bud

9. stan54

stan54 Junior Member

It's cool jerry. I do plan on rolling and tipping btw. The 545 primer shouldn't react with the primer I currently have on the boat right?

10. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

No the Awl Grip primer will react as a bonding agent between the old and new. Much says sand the old primer down to 220, I'll buy that, but sand the last coat of new primer with 325.

11. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

hehe,,,im jealous ,damned "transmission" people,,hehe ;)
    and kapt.,,,we're only 5 grits off,,,,i said sand the 2 part primer with 320 hehe ;)
    and GREAT bout the mast!!,,see,,,now just a few more days and a "tranny" will show its head :D ,,,and i LOVE salvage work,,hehe ;) ,,specially FREE
    and this dude is snailing this paint?,,,,never mind,,,,i dont even wanna talk to him!! hehe ;)

12. stan54

stan54 Junior Member

snailing?

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

roll and tipping,,hehe,,,i was jus playing hehe ;)

14. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Yep, seems like I'm always 5 up on you. Right or wrong

Stan, I told you not to let him get to you. He is just jealous that we can roll and Tip. He uses pictures of my roll and tip jobs for his portfoilo.:) :)

15. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

shhhhhhHHHHhhh,,,ya promised not ta tell hehe ;)