Why not RIB?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Nojjan, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

After talking to some people and reading a little around the topic of rigid inflatable boats it seems to be as the best compromise when I am looking for a reasonably fast and comfortable sea transport (5-6m, 30-40 knots). My question is then why not choose a RIB, what am I missing on the negative side? :confused:

Thanks / J

2. EStaggs

EStaggs Senior Member

Negative: No style... No class... No panache...

Otherwise, durable, effective, and without personality.

E

3. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

Hi E

After 65 visits to this thread and one reply in regards to the visual appeal (which of course is individual) I suspect that RIB as a concept is top notch in boating. It would be great if a rubber boat had the same emotional attraction as a beatifully varnished wooden creation but for my purposes I have to aim past looks. Maybe I should build a wooden rib, rigid wooden hull (say plywood or strip build and then clear finished and then a rubber collar). The idea sounds almost disturbing, a little un-holy.... ;-)

4. africa

africa Junior Member

hi
    forget all about e,s remarks.you want seawothyness and safety,for something different look at typhoon boats.I will be doing some rough water tests on same to satisfy and confirm my impresions.will post feedback for those that are interested.
    africa

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I think RIB's are cool just because they are different. If you like being just a little different get a RIB.

If you like being out on the fringe get a hovercraft.:D

6. EStaggs

EStaggs Senior Member

Look at it this way, the USCG uses a ton of self-righting boats in various shapes and sizes. Most of them are a variation on a RIB using an aluminum tank instead of an inflatable one. Its not exactly a RIB, but it has the same characteristics. Pig-dog ugly, but they handle some insane seas. Several were used off the coast in Oregon at Astoria, home of the notorious Columbia River bar.

If you are weighing your options against a different hull, you can compare and contrast those hulls. If you are just looking for a reason not to build/buy a RIB, there aren't a great deal of reasons not to.

E

7. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

Guys, I am already leaning towards a RIB, now I'm looking for the negative aspects, in case there are any (except estetics according to some, I think they look cool) so I truly have the big picture. Just now I can come up with these negative aspects:
    1 - low weight (although mostly considered a good aspect) can result in a rather nervous behavior of the boat, it also makes the boat more load sensitive (due to the proportionally large mass).
    2 - lack of storage, mostly in the seats or in some cases under the floor
    3 - lack of safe seating, using the tubes for seating can by some be considered unsafe (in a 5-6m RIB there are usually only 4 jockey seats, sometimes less)
    4 - wet ride, this is not something I have experience with but it always seem like the RIB guys get wet.
    5 - more please...

8. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

RIB's don't have to be wet! Although bigger than 5-6 meter varieties.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

Just a bit outside my budget, but if you can cut me good deal...?

10. africa

africa Junior Member

why rib

Hi E,tks for the reply.having skippered a boat on the wild coast in south africa,my attitude is that I will always want a boat that can handle the wild stuff.dog ugly dont worry me.the typhoon looks like it will do the job,just need a test in the surf on a rough day.
    Africa

11. AWH

AWH Junior Member

I love the "pig dog ugly" comment ....yes it is true that it is exceptionally diffficult to get an Aluminium RIB looking half decent, but the safety aspect far out weigh the lack of ascetics........check out www.typhoonboats.com.au

Cheers Wayne

12. AWH

AWH Junior Member

The alternative to a RIB is a RBB (Rigid Buoyancy Boat) take a look at www.typhoonboats.com.au ...the attributes of one, cross over to the other.
    Cheers W.

13. africa

africa Junior Member

PS.Ibelieve I have harrassed Wayne of Typhoon boats so much that he is going to allow me to test the boat.this will be the first time for me on an ali boat,coming from africa I am used to glass boats,surf launches and big water.I will post my impressions of the test here.
    Africa.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.