Help with Skiff Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bill the Cat, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Junior Member

While waiting on shipments of epoxy for my current project - I became fascinated by these FAO designed fishing boats FAO Boats and this sweet little fiberglass skiff The Caribiana. So to pass the time and not watch too much TV - I drew a set of plans that sorta hybrids both.
    [​IMG]
    It is a simple single chine skiff with 11% deadrise from amidship through the transom. I anticipate it being built stitch & glue and am continuing research to determine adequate scantlings. I've been able to create a table of of hydrostatic values for displacements from 1000 to 2000 lbs - thanks to Vacanti & Carene software - but what other information do I need to know to say such a vessel is practical?

My current thoughts are:
    Store the fuel & batteries (properly seperated) under the front deck.
    HP requirements - 35-70 hp - but the lighter the better.
    Bare hull weight is 700lbs or perhaps 10% lighter
    Side benches act as sponsons
    PDF and other light stuff under the rear deck.

Finally - if I can add a few more skillsets to the arsenal - I would love to design this in a 4 panel plywood lapstrake.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Try "Boat Strenght" by Dave Gerr , International Marine/McGraw Hill. I think the batteries forward will take a beating. They will be more protected in the center console. Also, the extra weight at the bow will make the boat pound harder.

3. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Junior Member

Gerr's book is in transport .... heck it's been in transport for a week...dang Amazon.

I see the reasoning for moving the batteries aft - they are large & dense - I'll refigure CG and see what the move gets me.

Thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.