Help with Rhino exporting to cutting file please

Discussion in 'Software' started by denmanmarine, Nov 5, 2012.

1. denmanmarine

denmanmarine Junior Member

Hi all,

Fairly new to Rhino and I am having some issues with exporting files for CNC cutting. The firm I use prefers R12 Lines and arcs as the .dxf format but I find that I am getting a number of "flats" on what are fair curves in the model.

I can edit the properties of R12 lines and arcs to apply segment length and maximum angle constraints and this seems to provide fair edges when you view the exported file but at the expense of a larger file size.

Is there a general guide to export settings or can someone provide some advice on the best way to go. There has to be a way that doesn't involve loads of trial and error.

regards,

AD

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

CNC machines can only cut circular arcs or straight line segments. The circles can not have more than 35000 mm radii. So if you do not want to get a too large file, you should try to unite the most points by arcs below the mentioned radio.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.