help with re-wiring job

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by tranmkp, Jun 10, 2008.

1. tranmkp

tranmkp "wherever you go. there you are"

I have a small trawler - Albin 27 that I am in the process of restoring. Electrical is not my forte, the boat is quite simple but pretty raw from the electrical side. Panels are mid 80's push button style and are intermittant. Shore power panel is problematic. Both need to be replaced. Questions I hare are:

Should every item have its own circuit? Right now I just have a switch for ALL instruments and autopilot. Im just looking for the guidlines. What type of shore power panel? should it be analog or digital?

thanks

MKP

2. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Hey MPK

We're heading down a similar road but with a new build and designed my own electrical system with the help of some fella's here and on other bulletin boards. I've also got some experience with rewiring our 25' express cruiser so I might be able to help.

I've tried to keep things simple. About the only thing I re-used on the express was the AC/DC dist panel. If yours is toast there's plenty of sources for good used equipment or mfgr surplus. Great Lakes Skipper is a good source but you have to shop selectively.

I don't have separate circuits for everything, that's usually just not practical. I have one branch circuit from the panel that goes to a Blue Sea fuse block for all the dash mounted accessories. A separate always powered buss (circuit breaker too) for the bilge blowers and pumps. Just keep in mind that every accessory should still have circuit protection if you don't use fuse blocks on branches. I do have two main busses, one under the dash for accessories and one in the engine compartment as well as two main ground busses.

I'd stick with analog. It works. I don't trust digital unless I have to. Unless you need to read the numbers while running at night you really don't need digital. Anything else just holler!

Rick