help with painted stripping

Discussion in 'Materials' started by rrrwel, Jan 26, 2010.

1. rrrwel

rrrwel Junior Member

I have a bridge boat that's 22 yrs old in great condition except for the painted stripping that's so oxidized I can't restore it. The worst one is on the upper bridge, It's a wide grey matallic paint. Covering it with vinyl is not an option.

It's under shrink wrap but everything is accessabile.

A couple things I'm considering but looking for advice.

1. Can I sand and apply just a clear coat? If so, does it need to be sprayed or can it be rolled and tipped. I'll be doing this in the spring under shrink wrap at 50 to 60 degrees.

If I need to repaint, would a simple base coat then clear coat work ok? Again can it be rolled and tipped.

If I need to spray would an HVLP sprayer work? I need to be cautious of overspray.

Any other applications or suggestions are welcome

Thanks for your input

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I agree with PAR. Clear coating over faded paint will make it shinier but still faded.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.