Thermoforming oven

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Scuff, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Scuff

Scuff Senior Member

I did a lot of searching on how to thermoform foam core and I didn't really find much so I wanted to share what I came up with to accomplish that. I built an oven that will allow me to form a sheet 24"x78". I used metal framing studs and 24ga sheet metal. PID/ssr from Amazon. total cost was around $500. It works very well the temperature varies by 8-9*F around the set point. The oven was based loosely on this write up for a powder coating oven Powder Coating: The Complete Guide: How to Build a Powder Coating Oven https://www.powdercoatguide.com/2014/09/how-to-build-powder-coating-oven.html?m=1

Attached Files:

2. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Good for you, it looks nice.

I've used a pizza oven in the past thermoforming thin plexi.

What is your set point?

3. Scuff

Scuff Senior Member

I'm using 230*F for Gurit PVC. The foam does shrink as a result but drapes to the form. No worrying about the foam pulling out of the screws now or deforming the mold. Not all the pics showed up I'll post some of the finished product.

4. Scuff

Scuff Senior Member

Finished Pic of the oven and one of the foam on the mold

IMG_20200331_093932.jpg

IMG_20200331_093942.jpg

hoytedow and BlueBell like this.

5. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

This looks great!

hoytedow and BlueBell like this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.