Help With Inboard Shaft Angle

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by rich99uk, Dec 3, 2009.

1. CDK

CDK retired engineer

What sort of stern drive should that be Joakim?
    Certainly not the disassembled ones I see whenever I visit a marine and also not the 6 I've had.

2. Joakim

Joakim Senior Member

I (actually my father) have had only one sterndrive boat. It had a Mercruiser 165 from 1977. It served well about 10 years without much else than yearly oil change. Then there were corrosion problems with the power trim and also the hydraulic tubes were replaced. Soon after that the drive was driven aground so badly it was replaced with another used one which worked OK untill the boat was sold maybe five years ago. The raw water cooled engine needed much more care during those almost 30 years.

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

There is an interesting thread here "can a stern drive sink your boat".
    Yes it can and it will if you keep your boat in the water long enough.

Once there were OMC drives without the dangerously unreliable rubber bellows, but they had other weaknesses built in to leave you without propulsion when you needed it most.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.