Help with gaff cutter design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by dwak, Jan 2, 2005.

1. dwak

dwak Junior Member

Great site! Very similar to the 924 Porsche site.
    Anyway, I've been designing my next boat forever but need some paid help to review my drawings and take them from paper to CAD/3D form for fairing and offsets, scantlings, etc.
    I do have a civil engineering background and work with ACAD occasionally for house drawings etc but I don't have the time or patience to learn the latest yacht design software. Or maybe I just need a kick to get going again.
    The design is a moderate displacement sailing gaff-rigged cutter and about 31' LWL. I was going to have the hull and deck in steel but my steel boat building buddy is 'burnt out'. I'll probably go cold molded wood as I am a wood worker/log home builder. I'm also a 'horse trader'. Any pleasant suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

dwak in E. Ontario
    timbercroft@sympatico.ca
    loghomesontario.com

2. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

dwak

One of your very own countrymen would probaly be a help to you. Paul Gartside in BC. He seems to know his way around gaffs and knows cold molding and wood pretty well.He seems to be flexible in his interactions with customers. Struck me as something of a Ludite but not adverse to any modern ideas.
    Take a look at his site and see what you think?

http://www.gartsideboats.com/

I like his stuff...always have.

3. dwak

dwak Junior Member

Thanks for the tip DGreenwood. I guess I'm a progressive-Ludite myself. That's why I build new loghomes.
    dwak

4. DaveB

DaveB Senior Member

naval architect in Ontario

Hi Dwak,

I'd suggest getting in contact with Steve Killing... He's a naval architect in Midland... Really smart guy n' great to deal with... Very helpful...

Steve Killing Yacht Design, RR#1 Midland, Ontario, Canada L4R 4K3

Cheers,

Dave

p.s. I've sent you a private message with his email address... Didn't want to post it to avoid him gettin' overwhelmed with spam...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.