Help with design of T rudders for a 50' catamaran

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by Dave_S, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Dave_S

Dave_S Junior Member

I'm keen on trying T Rudders on my cat. It's a Schionning Waterline 1480 that measures 15m and 7.2t to 7.8t depending on use.

I am hoping to achieve a reduction in hobby horseing at 0°AOA. I hope this will translate into improved pointing in swell and improved speed in all points of sail when it's a bit rough.

I have a CNC router to machine the profile or multiple profiles I have been a mechanical design engineer for 30 years working in 3D Autodesk inventor. BUT, no clue what profile or plan view silhouette or surface area to use. Have read a fair amount recently and have figured out there is a lot more to it than some internet trawling might teach me.

Is this something one of you kind people can give me a ball park spec for, or is it more complex to give a rough spec for. I'm not looking for the last little bit just a conservative ball park specification.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  2. Dave_S

Dave_S Junior Member

I just saw the post on Typhoon software, I'll give it a try.

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

I would be more concerned about the forces generated when resisting pitching in waves than the exact details of the shape. Both the bending moment at the base of the T plates and the vertical force on the rudder bearings, etc need to be considered.

4. Carl Henrikson

Carl Henrikson New Member

Hi Dave! I suggest you get a copy of "Hydrofoils Design, build,fly" by Ray Vellinga. A common profile to use is NACA 63412 for the lift foils and NACA 66012 for struts. Also there is a Facebook forum "Frankenfoil Sverige" which is about adding foils to existing boats. It started in Sweden but is now international and in English. I am slo interested in adding foils to my Trimaran - a Weta.

Dave_S likes this.

5. Dave_S

Dave_S Junior Member

Thanks Carl