New freeware jSDN 2.0a

Discussion in 'Software' started by Humberto, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Humberto

Humberto Junior Member

A new version of the jSDN has been released, and can be found at:

http://www.jsdn.es

The new version includes digitally signed design files, a feature that allows files saved with the PRO version to activate all PRO functionalities on the FREE version. All sample files includes in the download are signed, which allows any user to explore all the possibilities of jSDN. When signed files are saved with the FREE version, the digital signature is lost.

jSDN 2.0a Release Notes (Oct 30, 2009)

* Improved overall stability
    * Updated VPP models and solvers
    * Improved GUI for LPP and VPP modules
    * Use of background images in several design screens
    * Digitally signed design files

Best regards,
    Humberto Martinez

2. metin_mehel

metin_mehel mech.eng.

java 3d problem

installing jsdn is not enough. java 3d must be loaded, how ever it is very hard and complex procedure :mad:

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

use the installer instead of the binary.

4. metin_mehel

metin_mehel mech.eng.

Could you please 'print screen' the location of installation button? I am sorry. I really did not understand where can I load by installer.
    Thank you

5. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Step 1: go to downloads (left hand side) of the jsdn page.
    Step 2: click on Java 3D software link
    Step 3: click on the + sign beside Java 3D™ 1.5.1 API
    Step 4: click on Download Java 3D 1.5.1 Software
    Step 5: select your operating system, check the box and click continue.
    Step 6: click java3d-1_5_1-windows-i586.exe or the exe for your operating system. It will download.
    Step 7: install it...follow the instructions (next, next, finish...whatever.)

6. u4ea32

u4ea32 Senior Member

I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.2 on my new Powerbook with 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM.

I downloaded, and installed, and started each of the programs (jSDN Designer, Hydro, and Performance). All seem to "work" in that they all start, load a complete design for a sailboat. Looks very good!

But I can't figure out how to use jSDN to design a boat. Are any tutorial documents available? Perfectly OK if they are draft versions, incomplete, and so on. I am willing to provide feedback on the tutorial, if that would encourage the release of the document!

7. Humberto

Humberto Junior Member

I am still preparing the documentation. I have a partial manual (which I include here), and a tutorial. The last one is in Spanish, and I am traslating it into English. I hope to release it during Eastern.

Attached Files:

8. metin_mehel

metin_mehel mech.eng.

I have followed instruction and succesfuly installed java 3d. How ever when I started the program it raises an error message " java 3d library not found"
    Thank you very much.

9. Humberto

Humberto Junior Member

Can you give us some more information: operating system version (10.5.x, 10.6.x, etc) and java virtual machine version. You can access the first one in the Apple menu (about this mac) and the second in the Java Preferences (Utilities folder inside Applications folder). If you capture the Java Preferences panel, it could help.

10. metin_mehel

metin_mehel mech.eng.

windows xp
    media center edition
    vers 2002
    service pack 2
    --------------------
    Java Version 1.6.0_18 from Sun Microsystems Inc.

I realy want to use this program. Thank you for your assistance.

11. u4ea32

u4ea32 Senior Member

Humberto, this is really nice!

Edits to manual:
    Page 4
    "Visibility. In order top help" should be "Visibility. In order to help"
    "Editability. ... thus disallowing the edition of" should be "Editability. ... thus disallowing the editing of"
    "Type/Subtype. This" should be "Type/Subtype. These"
    Near bottom of page: "(be them free" should be simply "(free"

Page 5, paragraph starting with "Edited"
    "In this state the changed are" should be "In the state the changed value is"
    "the Intro key" should be "the Enter key"

Page 5, paragraph starting with "Error"
    "if the users types" should be "if the user types"

More to come. But as you can see, its already in very good shape, is very readable, and almost perfectly edited.

Thanks very much!!!! I'll give you more feedback as I use it.

12. Humberto

Humberto Junior Member

Thank you for the corrections. As you can notice, my English is not native and quite crappy! As soon as I translate the tutorial I will publish it here.

Humberto

13. metin_mehel

metin_mehel mech.eng.

Humberto what about my problem? Thank you

14. u4ea32

u4ea32 Senior Member

Humberto, your English is very good! I've gotton a bit further, and noticed just two more minor edits. I bet if I gave you one of my papers, you'd find as many small errors!

Just barely starting to use the tool, it sure seems easier than Rhino, but I'll give better feedback as I get along.

Again, thanks, its really nice software!

15. Humberto

Humberto Junior Member

If you downloaded and installed java3D in your computer, and still get the "java 3D libray not found", it can be a problem with the java3D installer. There is a known bug with the installer. If there is more than one java virtual machine on the computer, it only installs java 3D in one of them. The trick is to manually copy the files to "all" the other virtual machines. This is related to Microsoft only given partial support to Java.

In a typical windows XP installation, in Program Files you get a Java folder. Inside it there may be many things, typically one folder for each installed java virtual machine. You should java a jre6 or jdk6 folder at least. There are several ways to solve your problem. My advice is that you remove all the folders but the most recent one (i.e. jre6), and then reinstall java 3D. This should work with no pain. In case java screws up, you just reinstall java (this should not occur, it is just in case).

I hope this helps,
    Humberto

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.