looking for a boat designer

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Jmooredesigns, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Jmooredesigns

Jmooredesigns Junior Member

I have a boat I designed from wood and made fiberglass molds of. Now I am wanting to create the exact same boat in CAD to create aluminum cut files to make it out of aluminum. Anyone willing to help? Message me if your interested I can send you pictures of what we have. Its pretty simple I think. Its not your average boat design or shape.

2. kcxd

kcxd Junior Member

Hi, Jmooredesings, I used to work on a R & D project of small wind turbines with solidworks. no experience on boat but I guess turbine blades are pretty much the same to a boat hull as long as you can provide 2D drawings.

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

What kind of boat? what size? what purpose? Is your design some sort of secret? Attach pictures or at least line drawings.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Presumably if the "wood" version was made from sheet material, it will translate easily enough into alloy construction.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

The constructive methods in wood or metal are totally different, therefore, the translation is not as easy as you could think at first.

6. Mr Efficiency

I was thinking if he has constructed it from ply, getting the same shape in metal should be easy.

7. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Of course, but do not give the impression that it would be enough to change some ply panels for metal panels, the same shapes, because the changes should be quite larger, the translation is not so simple at all.

8. Mr Efficiency

:confused:

9. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

10. Jmooredesigns

Jmooredesigns Junior Member

sorry guys been away a while. I have messaged a few of you. I wish not to post photos on the public page at this time. The plug was built from wood and lots of bondo.

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I can understand your not wanting to divulge the specifics of the design, but some general parameters will be necessary. Also, placing a copyright symbol on the posted drawing will provide immediate protection, even if you've not applied for the copyright yet (you would need to apply relatively quickly though).

There are a number of ways to get a digitized model of the mold or the buck, in which to create a point cloud of geometric samples on the surface. These points can then be used to "reconstruct" the shape of the object, digitally. Photogrammetry is the simplest method and used by lots of industries, such as cabinet and countertop makers, so they can get a deadnuts precise fit into existing structures. There are quite a few different approaches to this, besides photogrammetry, some inexpensive, so some research into 3D scanning is order.

You can also do this manually, by taking off the lines, which is an ancient way of doing it, though doesn't require costly equipment. These "offsets" would then need to be input into a modeling or hull design package, so you can get the shapes recorded.

12. Mr Efficiency

If the "bondo" has been used to make nice radiused corners, getting an exact copy in alloy will be devilishly difficult.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.