Steel sailboat mast

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Gerald Niff, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Gerald Niff

Gerald Niff New Member

http://dixdesign.com/FAQsteel.htm
    Here is a web site that claims steel masts are the hot setup. Can anyone direct me to a site that shows a steel mast being built or information on the building of a steel mast? I still need a mast for my 36' steel mulichine.
    Gerald

2. SeaDrive

SeaDrive Senior Member

3. Brad Kelneck

Brad Kelneck Junior Member

Gerald: I too have a 36' steel multi-chine boat, in a cutter rig and have aluminum spars. I note that the site you highlighted (Dudley Dix), refers to using steel masts on gaff rig boats only. The difference is significant - gaff rigs typically have much shorter masts and therefore the increased weight aloft is less of a detriment. My mast is 45' long and additional weight aloft would have serious impact on stability. That is why people are moving to carbon fiber masts as opposed to aluminum in many performance boats. I would strongly suggest that you go with aluminum. You could build your own with external track, purchase a new one from a manufacturer, or look for a used one that meets your needs.(Believe it or not, there are quite a few out there.)
    Brad Kelneck

4. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Really whether or not the steel mast is feasable depends on the boat design. In a heavy displacement boat a bit of weight aloft has some advantages.

The inertia is relative to the square of the distance from the axis of rotation. So that heavy weight aloft makes your boat much more stable ...providing the design allows it.

Sounds odd but weight aloft adds to seaworthiness and reduces rapid roll acceleration. Also reduces capsize risk.

Carbon fibre masts are plauged with failure problems and have a terribly low torsional stability....only to be used on plastic surf boards/racing machines.

On seaworthy yachts a steel mast is fine and will often be little heavier than an aluminium one, and lighter than a timber one (remember those days?)

If you have any doubt try and contact the designer, this is cheaper if he is up to scratch, since he should have the weights/COG's already. Alternatively hire a marine engineer/architect (expensive).

5. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.