Where to buy a hull?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by jdray, Jun 24, 2020.

1. jdray

jdray Paddle Guy

Elsewhere I posted a question (not well received) about a generic powerboat hull design. The feedback I got was that the sort of hull I was describing was essentially laying around like litter on a freeway. I see in the marketplace that hull molds are readily available. What about pre-made hulls? Where can someone buy a hull and build it into the boat they want?

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

3. jdray

jdray Paddle Guy

I am in no way angry.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

5. jdray

jdray Paddle Guy

Perhaps. Ad hominem attacks aside, do you have an answer to my question?

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

7. jdray

jdray Paddle Guy

Interesting. So why participate in this discussion thread? What's your motivation?

Ad Hoc likes this.
  8. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Yes, some manufacturers will sell unfitted hulls from their molds. Not everyone will, since it is not good business, but some do.
    Anyway, powerboat hulls are actually littering the marinas and a used one to rebuild is probably cheaper than buying a new hull as long as you don't want something exotic. A powerboat with shot engines does not have much market value and with a bit of patience you can even find them free.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  9. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

What is it you want to do?

Buying a bare hull and finishing it yourself is very coslty and time consuming, it would be much easier and cheaper to buy used in a design that is close to what you want.

But if what you want is a project, then doing it yourself can be very rewarding.

There were long lead times on most production boats prior to the virus, builders are getting back to work, but those orders may or may not still be there.

If the builders are still sitting on 18 months of orders they may not want to sell just a hull. But if the orders disappeared they may have a hull sitting there they may want to part with.

jdray likes this.
  10. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

It will be difficult to buy a new bare hull.

However since the engine, electronics and interior cushions rot centuries before the hull...old gut outs are easy to get. Call the charities which receive old boats,or attend a marina's lean auction.

jdray likes this.
  11. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

There were a few companies around willing to sell a bare hull, but the real money is made on the whole banana.

Before you open such a can of worms, some idea is needed. A powerboat hull like i/o or ob or inboard? What length? Cuddy?

Fiberglass?

Quickly goes from simple to more complex unless you define wishes better.

jdray likes this.
  12. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore Senior Member

If I remember correctly, you were talking about something in the 40 foot range. For short range cruising (50 miles or so).

This, as others have pointed out, will be time consuming, but I think I remember you saying that wasn't an issue either. Check marinas that allow owners to work on their own boats. Often a project boat will get abandoned, for all kinds of reasons, and the marina is left with salvage to unload. You may be able to pick up something for very low money as long as you promise to haul the boat away or put a security deposit down on the storage time.

The nice part of this deal, if you have the time and inclination, is you can often sell parts, that you may not want, to marine salvage yards or to other boat owners on craigslist. If you get the hull for cheap enough, you could make out, money wise. This assumes you are successful at connecting with buyers. Often, the marina will have good suggestions on where to go. (Not meant to be cheeky here, but I can see how that might be read ;)).

Where are you looking to do the work? Craig's list might be a good place to start, or just drive up and down the coast and look for a 'for sale' sign on a boat parked on a front lawn (that's how I bought my Mariner). Storage facilities could be another source.

Good luck, I hope to see you carry your ideas through.

-Will (Dragonfly)

jdray and bajansailor like this.
  13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

14. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

In Maine there are many builders of lobster boat type hulls who sell bare hulls moldings and kits of hull, deck and cabin moldings. There are also numerous builders who start with bare hulls or "kits" and build boats to customer requirements. Some builders will also modify the hull moldings with the modifications ranging from changing or eliminating the skeg to lengthening the hull to both lengthening the hull and increasing the beam. A partial list of builders is available at Home - Maine Built Boats https://mainebuiltboats.com/

bajansailor, jdray and Ad Hoc like this.

15. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

Not sure what you are looking for, in the pac nw there are a few options mostly aluminum but a few glass. What size and shape are you looking for, and what is the goal of the boat?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.