help with an old Tri

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by kim s, Jul 26, 2009.

1. kim s

kim s Junior Member

I have just aquired an old plywood v-hulled tri, that has had a few very poor owners.
    I have NO idea what or who she is, and have spent hours trawling the net with no joy. not even close.
    She is 8.5metres long and 5 metres wide. I think a home build, but with some nice touches like roled aerofoil shaped fins on the Ama's.The Amas are only 800mm shorter the the main hull with a fairly flat v shape so bouyancy will go up very quickly as they are submerged.I am guessing the total weight of the boat at about 2 tonnes but its only a guess. The crane that lifted her out did not have a lifting weight gauge. just warning bells if exceeded 10 tonnes.

She s called "Monksfoot" and this carved into the tiller. I think she has been predominantly on the east coast of UK.
    I think built in the early 70's. but unfortunatly has had a lot of modification and some plonker used mild steelscrews which punctured the fiberglass sheathing and has rotted the wood. so I have 12 sheets of ply to replace!!!!

I have some major issues with her and this is where I need peoples help.
    The cross beams where made up of 4 planks of I thinks hardwood glued and bolted together, that have rotted. Now even with my limited knowledge,I now that this is not the best way of doing things. so my plea for help is can some-one help me with the design for replacement box section beams. I do not expect this for free and so If there is any-one in the uk that can help I will be very gratefull to get in contact direct
    Acually, thats not fair. I guess any body in the world could help.Just thinking its easier sometimes to have a telephone call.

Once I read up howto,I will post some pictures to see if any one has any idea to its ( iwas going to say pedigree) but its family rootes.

Kim s

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi Kim, welcome aboard :)

The software that runs this forum can handle photo uploads; there's a button under the reply box to this effect (click "Go Advanced" if you can't find it). A few shots would go a long way in trying to figure out what you have- ideally a couple that show the whole boat, and a few of the damaged areas that you're trying to understand.

From what I understand, there were A LOT of plywood trimarans built in the '60s and '70s. Some were reportedly quite good; a great many others are largely responsible for the bad name that multihulls in general have only been able to shake off in the last decade or so.

Depending on how they were built, some of these boats are still in pristine shape today, especially those built with the then-radical wood/epoxy composite construction. Others were hastily tacked together from crudely cut lumber and whatever fasteners the hardware store had on sale that week, and sheathed with polyester/fibreglass; few of these ones survived long.

I've been told that there were a lot of cheap, often poorly thought out plans going around in those days, many of which have long been forgotten. But if there's any place on the Web where you'll find folks who might recognize this boat, and might be able to help you figure out what to do about it, this is the place....

3. kim s

kim s Junior Member

Help with old tri

Thanks Marshmat Hopefully this will work.
    Yes I understand about the old ones giving Multihull a bad name. And I have a horrible feeling this might be one of those. But for what I paid for it, The mast and boom and the masses of stainless steel some one bolted onto it, I can get my money back in scrap metal!!!. BUT saying that, she i quite sleek and from the rough estimates I have done using the formulas in Chris Whites book ( i understand is a must for newbies)then she will be no ocean greyhound, but just reasonably fast for size etc. ideal for a family local upright cruising.

Right pictures-----hmmm lets see

Heres hoping.

Kim

Attached Files:

4. rayaldridge

rayaldridge Senior Member

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi Kim, yes welcome to the forum. We always welcome other masochists here :D

Ahem... sorry :rolleyes:

Could you perhaps post some pics where it is out of the water ? It is rather dificult to see the hulls properly with it still soaking in water.

I agree with the beams you want to replace. If the hull and ama's is still ok you could maybe prep it up to a nice standard again.

6. dialdan

dialdan Junior Member

Re OLD TRI

Hi
    Try googling Hartley Lively
    There were two versions a 28ft and a 35 ft one was called a Lively and the other a Sparkle I dont know in what order . I know one of them has gone around OZ

Ps just had a look and you can still buy plans from Duckworks

Al

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Well done Al, I think you got it.

It seems the old tri's were having ama's only to keep the hull upright. I don't know how easy one can enjoy the outdoors on those slanted spaces between the hull and ama's....

Note both ama's sitting in the water.

8. dialdan

dialdan Junior Member

Thanks Fanie
    I think Mr Hartley changed his mind I am sure they would have started off as monos.
    A little late for you isn,t it?
    Al

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Actually a bit late. At least the wife is sleeping and I have some quiet time for a change :D

I have recently taken pictures at a local marina also of an old tri. I was hoping they were going to scrap it so I can get the ama's but unfortunately the boat was being restored. This one's ama's were 8.5m long and would have been ideal to make an experimental cat with.

As for the tri Kim have, I wonder what is to be gained if the beams were made streight instead of drooped like original beside level outside space.

10. kim s

kim s Junior Member

od tri

Thanks guys for the links, I will try them(tri them----sorry:eek: new here so guess that one has been used)

Yes I am worried about the job but so far its only the skin thats rotten, no frames except the transom where she broke her bow line and caught up on the rudder on the wreck shes moored next too.As I said earlier 14sheets of ply(sods law cabin tops 6ft 4 x5ft 6in so 2 sheets required---bug3er. cockpit seats 9ftlong x 2ft 6inch ----2sheets required ---bug3er.. fore deck 7 ft long x 5ft 9--2 sheets required---bug3er. coach roof 6ft 4 x6ft --guess what --2 sheets required-----all together now -----bug3er. )
    all horizontal surfaces require new ply--amas included. BUT its amazing howmuch rott can be removed witha jig saw and how quickly new ply can be cut--epoxied and replaced.

As far a shots out of the water, I cant show a complete one as the cross beams started to disintergrate as she was lifted out. The yard insistead the mast was removed first and the shrouds where actually supporting the outrigers --gulp.
    I had to get her apart and off the wharf side asap(and sweep up the the debris) as they had a large old smack to launch the next day. so taking photos was not a top priority then.
    The Amas are in the back garden but the main hull in the yard. will see what I can do over the next few days.

Kim

11. kim s

kim s Junior Member

As for the tri Kim have, I wonder what is to be gained if the beams were made streight instead of drooped like original beside level outside space.[/QUOTE]

Fanie. I have a suspicion these where straighter as if you read my last post ( you got in before i could reply) the beams had failed so I thought about lifting them up so ( think the terms is "walked") also sraighter beams must surely be easier to fabricate.

Kim

12. kim s

kim s Junior Member

old tri

What can I say

I am 99.99% percent certain thats it

The interior is exactly the same.
    I have the same rigging points and everything.

FANTASTIC

Thanks guys.

Just got to sort out the cross beams problem ,then 14 sheets of ply. a mortgage full of epoxy, new sails and off we jolly well go.

Will try and keep up-dating process with picture gallary somewhere if any one is at all interested. no------ it only me then he he

Kim s

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Looking at the link Al posted the beams on the originals pictures were about the same slant. If you do get the beams streight I'm almost sure you would gain on drag. Since I don't know that tri it is just an opinion. Some basic mods may well turn out to be quite pleasant if the hulls are shaped ok.

As Ray said, you've taken on a big job.

14. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

If I may make a suggestion -

Instead of just slapping materials together, do a bit of research first. You may well want to use a bit more modern approach to make the beams stronger and more elegant as well as saving some weight. You can always add sandbags if it comes out too light :D

15. bill broome

bill broome Senior Member

i would be inclined to rent a chainsaw, and turn this into something useful: firewood.

seriously, building a new boat is likely to be easier than making something half-way useful out of this dinosaur.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.