Help! What is this?!

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by tikitack, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

According to "Sailboat Data" Lanaverre only built two boats-a 16 and a 19 footer:
    http://sailboatdata.com/view_builder.asp?builder_id=304
    It's not the Code 40 either-no rear deck and a much sharper bow on the Code 40.
    UPDATE- I've looked and looked and it could easily be a Code 40 with an added rear deck. Different pictures of the bow don't look as full as I was originally thinking. Other than that can't find anything.....
    ===================
    BINGO! Phil was right!

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=6996

2. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Several years ago G.W. Parker,well known builders of 505's and 470's produced a 404 when a youth training boat was the subject of a competition.A few were built and they didn't seem to spend much time in front of cameras.
    [​IMG]

The 404 relates to the length in centimetres.

3. tikitack

tikitack Noob

Thanks everyone for all your help! I really appreciate it. I'm diving in to restoring this l'il baby and will continue to post my progression with pics. I'm doing this for the fun, learning and love. It won't be perfect or professional, but I'm sure it'll be fun!

4. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Remember: one hour of deconstruction equals about ten hours of reconstruction!

Good luck.

Where are you, roughly, in Ontario?

PM me if you prefer.

5. tikitack

tikitack Noob

Hey Tom, I'm not worried so much about the amount of time or work. I look forward to it actually. Besides, I have all winter. :)

I live near Pearson Airport but my boat is residing at my work in Etobicoke. You live in the area?

6. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

No, west coast but I've been your way a few times.

Build on brother!

7. Fixme

Fixme New Member

hello,

Sorry i'm french , so m'y english isn't very good.

It's a KID LANAVERRE, i have the same !

8. tikitack

tikitack Noob

Hey FixMe

Awesome! Would you have any pics of it? I'm in the middle of restoring this baby and will post pics of the mess I'm making soon. It's been cold here and fiberglassing anything would be useless. It was in terrible shape when I got it..(literally saved it from going to the dump). So far, I stripped off and cleaned all the hardware, pulled the deck off from the hull and started rebuilding the outer trim of the deck... but it's still too cold.

Anyway, be really keen on any info or pics you would have on the Kid would be awesome. Especially on the rigging or your personal thoughts on how it handles and sailing it in general....

Thanks

9. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

It looks like it could use a big combing (V shaped damn in front of the cockpit to keep water out) because it's fast and doesn't have a self-draining cockpit.

10. tikitack

tikitack Noob

Apologies for my ignorance, but I'm not sure what you mean by a V-shaped dam. I tried googling it but didn't come up with anything. Would you have a link or something to a picture of a boat with what you're describing?

Thanks

11. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I think he meant a coaming: a lip that sticks above the deck, to help keep water from splashing into the boat.

Attached Files:

12. tikitack

tikitack Noob

Ah brilliant! Thanks Troy! Ack! More work! Looks like a great idea. Will have to look into it some more and see if I can do it.

13. Fixme

Fixme New Member

Hello,

I write " xx ?" When I am not sure of the English term

I cannot make pics before the next week because it's stored for winter.

It is the boat planned for two teenagers but that's very nice for one adult. Two adults if it's windy.

I usually use it with a friend, it's fun (Maybe I'll share a video of last summer later) or alone without spinnaker.

Mine is in good condition. I shall make precises photos if you need it.

I made several repairs and modifications since I have it.

- Shroud ( replace by larger )
    - Centre-board casing (repaired and strengthened with a plate in stainless steel hidden under the wooden board
    - The rudder, that's difficult to replace because the space of "Pintle-and-gudgeon ?" is not common.

The spinnaker pole isn't the original. My brother made it wooden.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  14. Fixme

Fixme New Member

For the navigation, I have fun with it ( I have 28 yo and I'm not an expert :) )

With his very "smooth curve/Flattened ?" hull it sometimes unstable and it's necessary to be attentive to our movements on it.Advantage : it's a pleasure in "Broad reach"

Of course, you can navigate calmly without capsizing !!! :) But me, I love playing with the limits... and I finish in the water.

I feel, it sailing close to the wind with a good efficiency

15. tikitack

tikitack Noob

This is AWESOME!!! Thanks so much for the pics and info! I've never sailed at all yet so I have no idea about anything. The owner was going to throw it in the dump and I saved it. It had all the rigging and sails (main and jib). I just couldn't let it die like that.

Your pics help immensely as there were some holes where no hardware was so I wasn't sure what was there. Also, it will help putting all the bits I took off put back on.

I'll be posting pics over the weekend of where I've gotten so far with the repair. If you ever wanted to know what the inside of your boat looks like under it's skin, well, I have pics...lol

I really appreciate all the pics and if you don't mind, I may ask for some advice here and there on what goes where... :)

By the way.... the bungee cord for holding the tiller...brilliant!!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.