I/O Cummins??

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by 27radon, Jun 2, 2008.

1. 27radon

27radon New Member

Hi all I have a old 27'x8' Radon fishing boat that I am rebuilding and a very low hour 210HP Cummins 6bt 5.9 that my dad purchased for the boat we are still working on the boat and are trying to figure out the best drive system for the boat my dad wants to go with a V-drive configuration because thats what he has the most experience with but he's open to anything.The main problem with the V-drive is the running gear would get in the way alot when fishing so I have been looking at an outdrive system that is compatible with my engine I have been researching my options and think a Konrad outdrive would be my best bet.I have talked to the local mechanics and fishermen and they seem to be evenly split whether the outdrive will handle the cummins torque but no one really has any experience trying a setup like this so I would like to get some more informed opinions before we spend any money on running gear.Any information,help or ideas would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance.

2. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Cummins and Mercruiser have cooperated on diesel I/O packages, up to 300 HP. They are not based on the 5.9, but the 300 hp Bravo outdrive might be able to handle your engine. Data here: http://www.brownmarine.com/mercdiesel.htm

3. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

How will the v drive running gear ,which is entirely under the boat, be more in the way of fishing than an outdrive hanging off the transom? Even when elevated, it presents major snags and extends even further out. Also if reliability is an issue, the v drive will win hands down. All of the commercial boats with outdrives that I am familiar with have constant issues with the drives. IMO, you will save major $$ with the v drive in the long run.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.