Boat molds

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by 13AL, Oct 2, 2008.

1. 13AL

13AL Junior Member

Hey y'all, I am contemplating laying up a few different types of hulls and would like your input. I have a few years experience with composits but would like a few opinions on the subject before making too many mistakes along the way. The types of hulls will be a flat bottom and a hydro. They will be used for the sport of drag racing so weight will be a factor. I have been involved with the sport for many years now and have only seen these types done in a hand layup process. WHY would I not be able to use a VIP or RTM type of layup for this. Balsa and fir are used for floor and stringers and I realize this would be installed after the "bag" comes off but, it seems the way to go for initial layup. Any suggestions or sources of information regarding this would be very helpful. Thanks in advance. Dan.