Colorado wooden boatbuilders- a shout out

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by nobrows1212, Dec 13, 2008.

1. nobrows1212

nobrows1212 Junior Member

Any Colorado wooden boatbuilders out there? I've seen posts from baliano in Centennial, and a few others. Would like to get acquainted for occasional benefit of, for example, being able to combine on orders of marine ply to cut overall shipping cost from coasts, or other similar economies, seeing/discussing projects, or potential sharing of minor materials, tools or stray boat parts. Thanks ehrlich_peter (the "at" symbol") yahoo dot com

2. Wayne Grabow

Wayne Grabow Senior Member

I'm here in the Monument/Black Forest area. I have two wooden boats already on hand and am getting ready to start a new one. My wife questions why I spend more time building than using the boats. I enjoy the design aspect; bringing a vision to reality. Next hull will be about 5' 9" by 18'6", a semi-planing powerboat. I plan to attend the Denver boat show to look at outboards, 20-30 hp. When I first arrived in Colo. I joined the ACBS but got too busy to participate (also built two new homes) and found that most members paid someone to renovate their boats, so I lost interest. It would be nice to share some ideas and especially efforts in finding suitable sources for materials. This is not a boat building mecca, although the mountain lakes are beautiful.

3. nobrows1212

Colo. USA builders

Thanks, Wayne- am in deep freeze for now-- will try to look you up as spring approaches. Feel free to use email address I placed in super secret code form on previous post-- would be interested in a combined marine ply order out of a coastal supplier, or hearing from you if you have found any place in CO that stocks marine. Also look fwd to seeing your projects, showing mine if you like. I am no skilled woodworker, so thank God for epoxy.

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

hey guys
    I am in Denver if I can be of any help. I tend have experience with more intricate projects than average

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I grew up on cape cod and have extensive experience with wooden boat construction as well
    plank on frame, steam bent mostly
    also I am or was before the economy went bust a custom home builder
    I got a handle on cheep hardwood if anyone is interested
    if you guys need a hand with your projects let me know
    Ill work for gas and beer but I pick the beer ok
    I have a forge and and all the shaping tools for ironmongery as well
    although Im not dragging that stuff around with me
    dam
    am pleasantly surprised to find a Colorado group in this thing

anyway if you guys want to Bronze fasten but are choking over the cost
    I can work the raw material if you feel like threading it
    I think I have one good 3/8 die left
    but after that its buy your own cutting tools kids

anyway I can build a steam unit in my sleep and pretty much only lack clamps

oh
    I got some pretty dam cool tricks to shape planking in about a split second as well

cheers mates
    B

5. cparkerc

cparkerc New Member

good morning,

I have yet to build a boat, but have plans in hand (15' skiff from Paul Fisher) and am starting to gather materials. Would love to do a group order of Plywood. I am in Fort Collins.

Thanks

Carrington

6. Wayne Grabow

Who wants to be in a movie?

Just talked to a young lady who represents a movie production company here in Colorado. Her company is finishing a movie on boating/boat building, filmed mainly on the East Coast, and would like to include a few scenes of someone building or repairing a fairly simple boat, i.e. a father and son planing a plank for a row boat, or something of that sort. She hopes to find a Colorado location. Anyone have such a project underway? Have a boat that could be used in a close-up shot with some sort of touch-up being done? Have some nice boat building tools that could be used as props? Anyone willing to correspond with her and learn more detail, let me know and I'll either give you her number or forward your contact information to her.

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I have more tools than God but no projects that would fit the bill under way
    if it helps any
    B

8. Wayne Grabow

Thanks to whoever,

I had given Naomi all the leads I could think of (some from here), and I talked to her today, and she says that they have a movie shoot in Denver for tomorrow. So thank you to whoever was able to help out on the boat building scenes.

Currently I have nothing to show in construction except a small pile of lumber and a partially assembled shop so I couldn't help her.

9. nobrows1212

my boat is a movie star

wayne-- my 1950's Enterprise (Jack Holt design) served for the movie production, which is assembling a promo film for Ocean Marine of Portsmouth, Va. Check out their site-- they have done restoration on mega-yachts to 225 ft. I don't know when the promo will be included on their site, but am looking forward to seeing my boat, as well as a scene of a little boy painting a sailboat model in my basement, on their website.

10. Wayne Grabow

Very neat, you will be immortalized. Naomi seemed incredibly nice on the telephone; was that your impression?

11. nobrows1212

whoa, hoss! She's married and has a baby girl..... anyway, thanks for putting her in touch w/ me. I guess my boat will appear in a promo eventually on the Ocean Marine website-- a true immortal! Peter

12. switters

switters skiff

just found this place, Hi.

I started about a year ago and have built two one sheet skiffs and use them for book cases and short fishing trips. I have a 12' summer breeze hull under construction right now. I would'nt mind getting in on a bulk marine plywood buy.

been building out of ACX, but my next build is a Goat Island Skiff and I want to do it right.

Carrington, have you ordered yet? I was at trostels about a year ago and the price was mind boggling, hence the practice builds in ACX.

Cheers,

13. nobrows1212

can join in on group purchase for real boat ply-- for me, just a few sheets of 6 mm/ quarter inch 4X 8. However, I don't have a vehicle capable of carrying 4 x 8 sheets, so I either need to be the central pick-up spot (have good secure dry garage space) or mooch a metro delivery, maybe for gas $? from wherever in metro Denver. My location is central Denver. Feel free to call me about this if interested. tel: (three oh three)
    329- nine nine one six Thanks

14. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

consider using CCX-PTS (plugged, touched and sanded) same number of plys and same adhesive as marine ply. Downside is that it does have voids. I edge seal with 3 coats of epoxy so the edges are filled. I also size up 1/8" so if a plan calls for 1/2" I go with 5/8" This overcomes any weakness and I glass over. You have to paint it not stain. It is made for exposed roof overhangs that is why the PTS. 5/8" marine $ 70.00+ 3/4" CCX $30.00+ Buy Doug Fir ply. never buy a chinese plywood.

15. nobrows1212

Thanks for the advice about exposed roof ply-- but after doing a practice boat from exterior ply, then a Selway-Fisher boat in FIVE PLY 6 mm "BS 1088" sapele marine ply, (5 sheets at $65 per), with several months and countless hours of attentive labor, and various trim, wales, etc in fine woods, finding not one plywood void anywhere on the boat, and having the satisfaction of rock solid feel, it seems like a small investment of the roughly $200 extra cost. In the middle of a cold water lake, the cost of marine ply is a great insurance policy..... however, if one were building a bigger boat, fiberglassed over, for trailered and occasional use, the CCX ply might be fine, especially if the concept is to work quickly and finish with workboat details.