Help selecting a planing hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by fredrosse, Feb 28, 2019.

1. fredrosse

fredrosse USACE Steam

I would like to purchase a hull appropriate for my next project, since I have finally now been given a "round tuit". Having no experience with planing hulls, I am asking for advice in selecting the most appropriate hull for a new power plant I am building. I want to go as fast as is reasonably attainable, with a monohull, and not a hydroplane.

A statement of requirements and criteria:

Boat length 15 to 20 feet, running in protected waters.
    Power plant, fuel, and passenger weight, about 800 pounds total, inboard engine plant.
    Engine , 15 horsepower (11.75 kW) RPM is between 1000 and 2000, if higher RPM is required, then step-up gearing would be required, possible but to be avoided if practical.

I have a 14 foot O'day sailboat hull, and I cut the centerboard out and installed a one inch shaft, driving a 14 x17 prop with an electric motor at 400 RPM. That boat gave good cruising service for several years, and as an experiment I installed a cheap gasoline engine rated at 13 horsepower, and it made 15 statute MPH. I am thinking of something similar, but with a more appropriate hull form for better speed. Hopefully something I can pick up used on e-bay or ?? for a small cost. If necessary I could build a hull in plywood, but if I can buy something appropriate the costs would be much lower.

Thanks in advance for advice from the knowledgeable people here.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you want the most speed for the power, a jon boat will probably work fine in protected waters. You can find them used for not too much money.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.