Printing Freeship .dxf output to lifesize plan?

Discussion in 'Software' started by merry maid, Jul 18, 2010.

1. merry maid

merry maid Junior Member

I am going crazy. Can it be that hard?

I have made both linesplan and developable panels for my boat model in Freeship.

Now, I would like to print them out lifesize. However, I don't want to pay a cad printer to print it out for me,... I want to print it out on my regular a4 printer at home and then tape them together using masking tape or something.

How do i do this?!?!? I am going nuts,... I tried a lot already.

Please help, anyone?

Regards,
    Merry

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

As far as the developable panels...set your grid to the size of the paper you want to use then zoom in on each grid until it is exactly the size of the view area and then print it. However...your paper will absorb and lose moisture, and the final output when you put it on ply will be off. Why not just give it a grid and copy the offsets...then print a reasonable sized copy of the part as a reference and use the grid to lay out your parts?

For your lines plan...go to intersections and add stations, buttocks and waterlines to match your paper...again though it isn't going to survive the moisture changes and handling while maintaining accuracy. Once again...use the export offset option to get all the numbers you need to draw the full sized boat on a lofting surface. Chances are you will have an unfair spot or two anyway and will need to correct it with a properly sprung batten between points.

3. merry maid

merry maid Junior Member

Thanks for at least offering a possibility... however, it seemed quite laborous, so I took one for the team and developed my OWN way to do it. Read the tutorial here: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/de...plan-multiple-a4-sheets-33796.html#post382555

The A4 have acclimatized to my room, and when measuring it all up, all the dimensions are spot on. It seems I don't have any errors. Do you reckon that I should cut the panels slightly oversized? If so,.. how much?

Regards
    Merry

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.