Help-rhino exterior design

Discussion in 'Software' started by ringoo83, Jul 3, 2010.

1. ringoo83

ringoo83 Junior Member

For those who use rhino in exterior yacht design, would you please advice me how to create the parts 1, 2 shown in the attached pic.
    I tried "sweep 2 rails" command but it didn't work. Appreciate if you can do that for the simple hull I attached or any other hull so guide lines could be seen too.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. surf

surf Junior Member

Have you tried the Curve Network command?

3. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

ringoo83 “sweep 2 rails” has its limitations for more organic shapes, it’s sometimes better to create a surface then manipulate that into what you want, use the least amount of control points to achieve the basic shape you want then move the control points. Once you have the shape you want you can then get edge lines to continue the surfaces. None of the surfaces in the file or picture were made with “sweep 2 rails”. I started with 4 lines (in green above) made it into a 4 sided surface then went from there, editing with the control points then adding surfaces from edges or part edges.

Attached Files:

• X2.jpg
      X2.jpg
      File size:
      114.9 KB
      Views:
    • X2.3dm
      X2.3dm
      File size:
      376 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  4. ringoo83

ringoo83 Junior Member

bhnautika,

thanks alot, your file and advice are really helpfull.

5. ringoo83

ringoo83 Junior Member

bhnautika,

I tried to follow your instructions but I couldn't make it, creating a surface and manipulating its control points is very hard and unclear.
    Appreciate if you use the program I attached which work as screen record program,you can turn it on and recreate those surface. the clip would be more helpfull. you can save it as SWF file (small size) and post it or send it to my email:
    ringoo83 at yahoo dot com

Your help will be highly appreciated

Attached Files:

6. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Ringoo83 thanks for the download but the smallest file size I could get was 15 Mb and not very clear, so I may have to work through it in smaller bits. So for a start what version of rhino are you working in? As I can suggest two ways of tackling what you want but one requires the “record history “.

7. ringoo83

ringoo83 Junior Member

bhnautika, I'm working on rhino v.4 SR.6
    Thanks again

8. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Ringoo83 do you have these tool boxes up?

Attached Files:

9. ringoo83

ringoo83 Junior Member

bhnautika yes I have them, I already mentioned that I have rhino v.4 last version

10. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Ringoo83 I am having trouble getting some of tutorial under the upload limits so we may need to zero in on the point where you are having trouble. In the original file I posted can you make a four-sided surface from the green lines like the one above them? Also can you turn on the control points for that surface? The reason I asked about the toolboxes is that some people like to customize them so are looking at a different screen.

11. ringoo83

ringoo83 Junior Member

bhnautika I made the four-sided surface, turn on the control points....
    check the pic of my rhino , toolbar , the surface , control points on...what next?

Attached Files:

• x.jpg
      x.jpg
      File size:
      143.8 KB
      Views:

12. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Ringoo83 set up your screen in 4 views, turn off the control points for the time being then select that surface and lock it. Select everything else and hide, it will make easier to see what going on, then unlock that surface and show the control points again. Turn off the osnap and start selecting single points in front view move the edge points to get the basic shape you are looking for. You can then go on to the mid control points to change the sectional shape. Its best to pick the point you want in the view where you can best see it then go to the view that keeps it in the right plane, for example pick a mid point in front view then go to either top or right view to move it, this way it stays on the plane of the view. You can pick single or multiple control points to move. Play around with basic shapes to familiarise yourself with moving points around in 3d space, the boat hull (see pic) was made from that original surface same points just in different places.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.