Noobie Canoe Repair

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by bdmathis, Aug 12, 2014.

1. bdmathis

bdmathis New Member

Hey Gang -

I've got a crack on the hull of my Old Town canoe. Is this a simple repair? I'm thinking I can DIY, but could be wrong. Would this just require some "gelcote"?

Thanks!
    Brady

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I suggest you contact the company. They were made of a plastic they called Royalex, which has a high oil content.

3. bdmathis

bdmathis New Member

OK, cool. I did some research, and Old Town claims all the Stillwater canoes are fiberglass (mine is a Stillwater model). Is there a way for me to examine the hull and determine what it is made of?
    Thanks for the super-quick reply!

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

It's fiberglass, which appears white where scratched. The keel cracked, I think, because it got jumped on. The crack should be repaired correctly. Otherwise it will be far less tolerant of strain than the condition that cracked it in the first place.
    The repair needs to be tapered fore and aft with a few layers of fiberglass laid in epoxy. Not an expensive repair at all, but it needs to be done by someone who can return the bottom to its original strength.

5. bdmathis

bdmathis New Member

Thanks Alan - I may have to hunt around for someone in Colorado who can handle this... Cheers!

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

This is a job you can do yourself, which is a whole bunch cheaper. Grind the area back, removing the gel coat and cleaning up the broken laminate. Lay in replacement fabric (cloth, combi fabric, etc.) with polyester or epoxy (epoxy is preferred and stronger) so it's "bulked" back up to almost flush with the surrounding surface. Lastly finish it off with a gel coat repair (hard for a novice to do) or prep for paint.

These types of simple repairs are covered in many places on line. I'd suggest you download the free "User's Guide" from westsystem.com and the "Epoxy Book" from systemthree.com to get a grip on the techniques for this type of thing. It's not hard and you'll be proud of the work after you splash her again.

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Following on from Pars comprehensive advice, I would recommend Epoxy.

As mentioned, its stronger and more waterproof, and a bit easier for a novice to mix,

If you have ever used Araldite, it is a bit thinner version,

If you go to your local fibreglass supplier, they will recommend a suitable glass cloth to fill the gap.

If you took it along to a boat repairer, or even a local experienced enthusiast, they would probably have some remnants of epoxy and cloth, and would charge you about the same as it would cost you to buy retail quantities.

8. bdmathis

bdmathis New Member

PAR & rwatson -
    Fantastic! This discussion is quite helpful. Thanks to you both. :)