Help, please

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by olli, Apr 14, 2008.

  1. olli
    Joined: Sep 2007
    Posts: 64
    Likes: 6, Points: 18, Legacy Rep: 54
    Location: Germany

    olli Junior Member

    Can someone tell me more about this drive system? Picture is from '91:
  2. grady
    Joined: Oct 2006
    Posts: 527
    Likes: 12, Points: 28, Legacy Rep: 70
    Location: Scituate, Ma

    grady Novice


    Hey Olli, those appear to be tractor or pod drives.

    Which have been around a while for larger craft. there basicly stern drive lower ends mounted through the hull and turn like 90 degrees in both directions. they pull rather than push, and are said to be more efficent the inboards because they have clean water to draw from ( no running gear ). Also there's no shaft angle to try to push the hull up out of the water.

    They also offer improved monuvering over an inboard. Both volvo-penta and mercruiser have just come out with there own version, with some big builders signing on.

    I'm sure someone with more technical data will come along.

    hope this helps
  3. PAR
    Joined: Nov 2003
    Posts: 19,133
    Likes: 491, Points: 93, Legacy Rep: 3967
    Location: Eustis, FL

    PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

    Those are fixed pods which incorporate rudders on the legs.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.