Help Please

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by pennreeler, Feb 14, 2006.

1. pennreeler

pennreeler Junior Member

I have posted a post on building a custom boat, and i just want to say Thank you to all of your help. I have thought deeply about all of the feedback that i recieved and it helped me to this conclusion. The designs that i THINK are designs, probably arent and i dont really have the confidence in my designs at this point in time (and not near enough money to build a boat right now). I have decided i would like to restore/fix/a project boat, whatever you would like to call it. So heres where i need help. I need a project boat. I have looked thoroughly and have not found one that suits my fancy you could say. Im looking for something from 23 to 29 feet in length, center console, that can be worked on a little bit as a go along. I would prefer that the boat have some options to custom make some decking additions and features. If anyone could give me a website to a boat yard or anything like that,that would be great. If you have a old boat that you need to get rid of, let me know. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED! Anything, I just want to get started ASAP!!!
    Thanks a heap everyone

2. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

3. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

Post on this site, your intentions, and you will find some for the taking. Look around their projects section, on their main page, and it will educate you really fast to what cheap fiberglass hulls, with bunches of sweat equity can do. But patience, money and time is still required. A cheap boat is not always cheap. I am sure that this line you have heard many times before. But sometimes it needs to be driven home.

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=5

There are some mid 20 Makos around that are really cheapYou need to forgo the idea that old boats or cheap boat will not require as much money, especially if you acquire a cheap fiberglass hull. It would also be a good idea if you would give us a figure of what you consider to be reasonable on how much you have in mind, that it will take to fix up an older hull.

There are plenty used hulls, boat motor and trailer, that will need work on it. But cheap is not always a deal and comes with the issue of unreliability, too.

4. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Oyster doesn't speak much (only 40 posts?) but when he does, he speaks the truth. You might just come out ahead to build your custom from scratch. Good deals on used boats are to be had, but you gotta be in the right place at the right time, and know what you're looking for. And just because a boat is from a good manufacturer (such as Mako) doesn't mean that some dufus hasn't screwed it up by poking a bunch of holes in her without properly sealing everything. I redid a deck on a 21' bay boat that had no less than 200 holes in it from various accessories, all "sealed" with cheap clear silicone, which don't seal squat!:mad: The point here? It's all a personal choice, but choose wisely. Personally, I like to restore old boats, but ones that are sound to begin with, were taken care of, and are worth the effort. We need to hear more from you Oyster!

5. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

LOL!!I just joined this place and thought I had a lot for such a short time. What do I know? What I think I do know, was from the school of hard knocks. But either way, you can pay along on most project hulls, new or custom. But people must begin with the attitude and mindset that its all somewhat a waste, and relative to the ratio of their wallets and expendable incomes, Some see shades of greens differently. Boat is not spelled "[Boat On Another Thousand" for no reason, you know.

Thats the number one issue that people must get out of their minds, in the beginning. Ain't nuttin but a mental excersize either. :)

By the way, Corpus Skipper, do I know you from another life?:?: ;)

6. Corpus Skipper

Could be! :D I think there must have been another feller lurking around here going by Oyster.

7. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

Thats right. Now after seeing you full framed, I do recall you.;) :D
    [​IMG]

8. Corpus Skipper

That's a picture of every boat builder I know at 4:45 Friday afternoon!:D

9. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

Gosh, you must hang around a bunch of reformed AA boat builders. :D Remember too, on your friday, its already sat in other parts of the world. As Jimmy Buffet says, too, "Its five o'clcok [hickup]somewhere"

Opps looks like a small hijack. Now back on topic. What custom hull were you thinking about doing?

10. pennreeler

pennreeler Junior Member

I was thinking about a 25 ft center console, but im really more interested at this point in a project boat. I found a boat auction site that has some perfect project boats and im looking there. If you have an unfinished project or damaged hull, feel free to contact me. Website would also be nice.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.