help please to install a jet engine from a yamaha jet ski on a 9ft inflatable RIB

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by fausto69, Mar 9, 2007.

1. fausto69

fausto69 New Member

Hi.
    Does anybody know where I can find plans to install a jet engine from a yamaha jet ski on a 9ft inflatable hard bottom dinghy?

2. rayk

rayk Senior Member

fausto69,

What a cool idea!
    Have you seen it on someone elses dinghy?

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Thers an old one in the car park outside my Yacht club in Malaysia. The monkies have crapped all over it but.. Any way its a bit bigger than 9 foot. I think its Yamaha.

I did just this to a smaller one 15 years ago for the superyacht 'Mirabella'

It was meant to go in the garage. I was called in to re engine it to a Volvo because they wanted it to pull 3 ski-ers. I told them it wasnt possible before they started.

I remember it being very skitty and would suddenly do a 180 degrees.

Dont let that stop you though, it needed some keels or fins.

It would be ok if you can drive around at high speed . If you were restricted to say 6 kts in a marina for instance it would be a dog and very thirsty.

To be honest I would consider cutting the whole jet and engine out of the floor of the jet ski and glass the whole lot into the dinghy.

Im saying I would consider it.

4. fausto69

fausto69 New Member

Thank you

Hi
    Thank you for your sugestion of cutting of the whole bottom of the jet ski and glassing it in to the dinghy but I am worry about how strong is this glassing going to be. I had that idea, in fact my idea is to use as much jet ski as I can on the dinghy, Ihad thought to use all the jet ski exept the hull. I meaning all the stiring system,sit,etc, in other words this will make the dinghy one with a jokey sit because basicly it will have the whole jet ski glassed in the midle. I am thinking to use a yamaha vxr 650 jet ski but do not have the dinghy yet.
    Thank you once again and let me know if you have any other ideas

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Mmmm it might get to the point that it would be hard to tell which was the donor boat.

Tandem seating would be safer as well.

6. redtech

redtech Senior Member

zodiac did this with one of there ribs maybe finding one of those might help
    if i recall it was a 10-12' boat witha yamaha 700 in it

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.