Small Catamaran engine options

Discussion in 'Electric Propulsion' started by YoungGrumpy, Feb 8, 2021.

1. YoungGrumpy

YoungGrumpy Junior Member

Cold and snow and boring, so it's time to work on complex problems!
    The boat is 24 ft, under 2 000lb catamaran.
    Needed:
    - 6 HP or more engine

- Basic electrical loads

1. Nav Lights
    2. Cabin lights
    3. Small load charger (tablet/cell phone etc).

Means of producing El. Power, or recharging the batteries – The boat is at the mooring, so no shore line.
    The simplest and cost-effective approach would be a 9.9 outboard with alternator, and a house battery (or, two batteries, so even el. Start is possible). Small solar panel would make it a very robust system (batteries toppled always, then when the engine is running, more current produced for use). Downside of this approach (based on my current experience) comes since the boat used mostly for daysailing, the engine is used to get from/to the mooring only. Most likely as a result of the irregular/low use and added to the ethanol on the gasoline, carb problems are regular. After needing a tow twice last summer (one time the engine stalled right before entering the mooring field on a breezy day), I am wandering if there is a better system, like El. outboard.
    Something along the lines of
    - Two ePropulsion Spirit outboards should give me enough HP to move the boat nicely (plus, better maneuverability)
    - House battery and a solar panel to recharge the whole (two engines and a house).
    Is it possible to get such a set up for less than twice the outboard price and to get a reliability and a peace of mind? Would it work with no gasoline genset?

2. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

Buy one of the new fuel injected outboards, for example the Tohatsu MFS9.9. No more carb problems, no worries about ethanol fuel.

3. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

What type / make / design of cat is she YG?

Does she exist already, or are you in the process of building her?

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

You need to load calc it all.

5. YoungGrumpy

The Seawind 24 is what I have now. The experience with outboards (fuel issues etc.) is what was happening more or less for the last 5 summers. One season with 2-stroke Yamaha 9.9, then I've got Tohatsu 6 hp 4-stroke (a bit less weight, longer shaft). Newer 4-stroke is the worst. With the Yamaha, I would spray some cleaner into the air intake, and when back at the mooring, spray every hole, and it would be good for a month. The Tohatsu stalled one day, and all my efforts would not make it run properly (start, idle and stall if given more power).
    These boats work well on 6 to 15 HP.
    As I am in the process of finalizing the design of a new build (same LOA, bridgedeck cat, foam/glass epoxy, composite instead of alum beams...), new boat should be lighter and faster, so 6 to 9 HP is what I expect to work.
    Fallguy, it is a sailing catamaran, on a smaller side, so displacement speeds up to 7 kts is what is required as power, so price and reliability are the factors, not the power range or, I do not know, loads, dynamics...

6. YoungGrumpy

Looks like I should move to the "Outboards", and chew on the merits of injectors/vs carburetors in dealing with modern gasoline on small boats...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.